Gluten Free Sour Cream Breakfast Muffins
*This GF Sour Cream Breakfast Muffin recipe is gluten-free, Paleo- and SCD-friendly*
Lately, I have been sleeping a little easier at night. For two reasons: 1) my youngest has decided to let me, and 2) I have an awesome new government job.
It seems like eons ago when I left my job in the public health sector. I’m not going to bore you with the different iterations of my job search rigamarole during the last few months, but here’s what I can say: I am so happy and grateful for all the opportunities I have today!
And those few pounds I’ve been obsessing to lose? Lost them by cutting out wheat in my life and spending a little more time in the gym! No bread, no pasta, no worries!
But me, go wheat-free forever? It’s like asking me to wear wool in the summer (even in the winter)…Torture! So instead of getting stuck in a dietary quagmire, I allow myself to enjoy wheat products several times a month. However, the family can indulge whenever they want.
But not today.
These muffins, as the name states, are gluten-free. They’re also refined sugar-free by the use of raw honey. This is the type of recipe, though, that does not take away too much from the familiarity and comfort of a regular muffin. Proof of concept not required. Nobody will suspect anything! Sure, it’s considerably less sweet and it tastes more like a soft, pillowy bread, but I am sure you can convince your picky “customers” (i.e. kids and spouses) to enjoy them for what they are!
Soft, airy, sour dough-y morning treats, these wholesome muffins can be packed in a lunch box or eaten on-the-go. They’re great straight out of the oven and can hold well to reheating. My only complaint is, we’re always fighting for the last piece.
- 50 grams brown rice flour
- 50 grams yam flour
- 40 grams tapioca flour
- 10 grams garbanzo flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons raw honey
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Grease a regular 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper, ungreased.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 C).
- In a medium bowl, mix all the flours together with the baking powder, baking soda, and xanthan or guar gum.
- In another bowl, beat the egg. Add honey, sour cream, butter, salt, and the flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin cup at ⅔ full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped butter or sprinkle with icing sugar.