Roasted Bone Marrow Salad

by Jen on September 13, 2013

*This recipe is gluten-free, Paleo and SCD-friendly*

Have you heard of bulalo? Bulalo is a dish of beef shank and marrow soup from the southern Luzon province of the Philippines. As the fat and collagen from the bones melt into the water they are boiled in, this produces an unctuous and flavourful broth that immediately awakens the “umami” sense.

Although I am not posting about bone marrow soup today, by introducing you to bulalo, I am hoping to give marrow a grand entrance and, perhaps, qualify how good they taste! Yes, bone marrow is fatty and certainly not good for your cholesterol – according to your conventional family doctor, if that’s who you listen to. At this point, you are probably thinking, “oh no, that marrow is now coagulating and hardening inside my arteries! Quick, get me a Statin, stat!” Has anybody heard of the French Paradox? That might be a good thing to look up now.

But don’t panic. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with eating fat, as long as it’s the good kind of fat (from nature, not manufactured in a laboratory) and it’s enjoyed in moderation. However, I am not a medical professional qualified to give advice, so what do I know? Here’s the caveat then: proceed with this Roasted Bone Marrow Salad at your own risk! Don’t say I didn’t warn you of its awesomeness!

This Roasted Bone Marrow Salad, which makes use of the same crosswise cut of beef bones as the aforementioned bulalo, is one heck of a dish. Not convinced? Just ask David Leite of Leite’s Culinaria. He has loads of information on bone marrow on his site that I won’t bother rehashing here. You can just head over there and read all the juicy details!

Meanwhile, part of my “job” is to convince you to try this recipe. See those chunks of collagenous stuff that look like teeny little baby brains in the photo above? Yes, those are the ones we’re talking about. Let me tell you how I reacted to my first hot, slick, and fluffy spoonful of marrow. It was an explosion in my mouth – a sudden high that blasted through – and all I could mutter was a “hellz, yeah!” It was like a hit of blue ice with 97% purity – not that I would know; I am a “Breaking Bad” fan, you see!

Roasted Bone Marrow Salad
Recipe Type: Salad
Serves: 4 to 6

• 4 to 6 beef bone marrow pieces, cut cross-section, about 4" tall each (allow at least 1 piece per person)
  • 6 teaspoons kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 2 spring onions, finely sliced
  • ½ red onion, finely minced
  • salad greens of your choice (I used micro greens: arugula, broccoli, and cress)
  • 1 pint golden berries (also known as Cape gooseberries), halved
  • a handful of honey- or apple juice-sweetened dried black currants
  1. To clean the bones, soak them in a large pot with enough cold water to submerge the 4 to 6 bones. Season the water with 6 teaspoons of salt. Refrigerate up from 3 hours up to 24 hours, changing the water when it becomes cloudy or every 3 to 4 hours.
  2. When ready to roast, drain the bones and dry then with paper towels.
  3. Preheat the oven to 450 F (230 C).
  4. Set the bone standing up on a baking pan lined with aluminum foil. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and some minced garlic.
  5. Roast bone for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the marrow softens, bubbles, and melts. You can also test the marrow with a cake tester inserted into the middle. When it comes out hot to touch, the marrow inside is cooked.
  6. While the marrow cooks, prepare the salad by chopping the ingredients.
  7. When the marrow is done, serve immediately with a marrow spoon or any long, skinny spoon that can fit inside the bone.
  8. To eat, scoop some liquid fat and marrow out, then toss with salad. The marrow's fat becomes the dressing.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Your salads are always composed so well! I’ve never tried bone marrow, to be honest with you, though you make it sound tempting!

Mom-Friday September 14, 2013 at 4:47 am

As I always say with bone marrow – I love the heart-stopping goodness of this “delicacy” anyway it’s cooked.
This looks soooo beautiful and appetizing! I love your plating and the sprinkling of garlic on top!
I also shared on the blog my first attempts at roaseted bone marrow and used it as spread on toasted baguette, YUM!

Tessa @ Feral Kitchen September 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

I love roasted bone marrow! This salad looks fantastic!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic September 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

Oh my gosh, I would like a giant bowl of bulalo right now! Mmm-mmm. I’ve been roasting bone marrow, and my creations certainly don’t look as pretty as this salad ;)

CCU September 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Ridiculously delicious looking bone marrow :D
Such a creative salad!

Phenomenal Mama September 15, 2013 at 2:06 am

Yum! Yum! Yum! I grew up having bulalo soup on a regular basis, but now that I am older and in-charge of my own kitchen, not so much. :) We still enjoy it occasionally, but having it in a salad looks so tempting. I love all the photos here, and the micro-greens are always so pretty!

Raymund September 15, 2013 at 3:31 am

Wow! Look at that, I am speechless looking at it.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I have never tried bone marrow before, or ever really considered it. But you make it sound so good! So glad you are back to blogging!

Patty September 15, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Bone marrow is very good, isn’t it?!! Surprisingly so. We shared a bone marrow appetizer at Morimoto in Napa last weekend and I have to say it didn’t have anything on your salad creation in the looks department!!! But, it did taste amazing as I’m sure your salad did ;)

Coffee and Crumpets September 15, 2013 at 10:56 pm

You don’t have to sell bone marrow to me! I love it and its incredibly delicious! I would have no problem making and finishing off this gorgeous salad. When I was younger, my mother would scoop out the marrow from the curried bones and give it to me. It was my favourite part.

Nazneen

Lora @cakeduchess September 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

There are so many times I tried bone marrow as a little girl. I never saw it used in a salad and this is such a gorgeous salad, Jen. Looks delicious!

katie @ how do i find a man September 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm

this is really neat, it’s exotic and looks really cool.

i want to try this one because i’m on an asian food eating expedition with some friends around the town and i’d like to try bulalo instead of making it myself.

then maybe if i like it i’ll do it myself

thanks so much!

katie

Suzanne September 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Only you Jen, could make this salad and bone marrow soup sound tantalizing to this previously self proclaimed vegetarian. Your pictures are beautiful and my husband would love this recipe without a doubt. Glad you are back blogging.

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} September 19, 2013 at 1:56 am

Glad that you are back to blogging – we missed you and your wonderful recipes! I have never actually had bone marrow, but I know numerous folks who love it. Yours looks so pretty the way you presented it!

Nami | Just One Cookbook September 24, 2013 at 12:30 am

I’ve tried bone marrow soup before, but seeing the salad recipe is my first time! I missed your beautiful and colorful plating. Always so inspiring!

Chocolate Shavings September 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm

You had me at bone marrow!

Jean | Lemons & Anchovies September 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Those are the most photogenic pieces of bone marrow I’ve ever seen! Beautiful and unique salad!

Kristen @ The Endless Meal September 30, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I absolutely LOVE bone marrow but have never been brave enough to try cooking it at home. You make it sound so easy! Will definitely be giving it a try soon :)

Sandra | Sandra's Easy Cooking October 7, 2013 at 11:33 pm

How in H* i missed your post? I loveeee Bone Marrow, like LOVE and yours look so amazingly delicious and with veggies, so yumzy! Great clicks as always …have a beautiful week!!!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

What a gorgeous salad! It’s almost too pretty to eat!

Amy (Savory Moments) October 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm

This looks awesome! I’ve never had marrow bones before, but recently bought some at the farmers’ market because I’ve been intrigued by them. I’m more excited to give them a try now. Beautiful!

Sarah & Arkadi November 15, 2013 at 10:53 pm

This recipe hits close to home, especially for Sarah (who was raised in the Philippines)! We love your photos!

Sarah & Arkadi November 20, 2013 at 11:07 pm

We love this recipe and photos! It’s closer to our home since Sarah was raised in the Philippines! Thanks!

sippitysup November 26, 2013 at 11:44 am

This is indeed a grand entrance for marrow bones. I’ve been playing around with a roasted recipe of my own. The umami flavor is simply astounding. But I am surprised by some people’s reaction to this delicacy. I even went to my butcher recently because I wanted veal bones, and I wanted them cut lengthwise. Even the butcher looked at me quizically and said “are you sure?”

La Torontoise December 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

I had absolutely no experience with marrow bones before and waited for a friend of mine (a re experienced one) to take the lead in trying out this recipe; the experiment was quite an experience on its own. Thank you! Was very delicious!!
Have a great holiday season and I look forward to reading more from you on the blog: -)

Trotter December 24, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hi Jen! You always make me hungry… :-)

Hope you are having a great holiday season! Sorry for the absence, but work and concerns are keeping me away from Blogtrotter… Anyhow, enjoy my latest post at Tobago, and have a great season!
Wish you all the best for 2014, hopefully better than 2013!