|Avocado Sandwich with Pickled Onions || || |
Recipe Type: Lunch, Condiment, Vegetarian
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- ~~ For the Pickled Onions ~~
- 1 white onion, thickly sliced
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) freshly squeezed lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- two pinches of salt
- ~~ For the avocado sandwich ~~
- 1 ripe avocado
- half a tomato, diced
- juice of half a lime
- cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- cheese (optional)
- slices of sourdough or whole grain bread
- To make the pickled onion, put the vinegar in a heated sauce pan, add the jaggery or brown sugar, all the spices, garlic, and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When cool, put the mixture into sterilized jars, cover with muslin and leave in the windowsill or outdoors for 1 week, shaking it daily.
- Alternatively, you can enjoy the pickled onions right away (without having to let it sit for a week).
- Enjoy it chilled or at room temperature.
- To assemble the avocado sandwich, slice the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the stone / seed with a knife, and slice and scoop out the fruit.
- Place avocado in a mixing bowl, add the diced tomato, squeeze the juice of half a lime, and add cilantro leaves.
- Gently mix and mash the avocado mixture. I prefer mine with big chunks.
- Scoop the avocado mixture on one slice of bread. Optional step: add cheese on another slice of bread and pass under the broiler to melt.
- Place one toast on top of the avocado spread to make a sandwich, and grill in a grill pan or panini press until bread is toasted softly crunchy.
- Serve with pickled onions and micro greens on the side.
Recipe by Tartine and Apron Strings at http://www.tartineandapronstrings.com/2013/05/05/avocado-sandwich-with-pickled-onions/