Avocado Sandwich with Pickled Onions

by Jen on May 5, 2013

*This recipe is vegetarian. Vegan, if you omit the cheese.*

I can sing praises for this avocado sandwich endlessly! Especially when served with an Indian-inspired pickled onions known as Pyaz ka Achar. Yum! I love the bite that Pyaz ka Achar gives, so if I don’t happen to have them with my avocado sandwich, I feel as though something’s missing.

It’s a lovely Spring weekend, so we packed these healthy sandwiches and headed to a nearby park – Toronto’s High Park – where the cherry blossoms (sakura) are in peak bloom! Cherry blossoms have a notoriously short season (about 1 – 2 weeks in April or early May), but boy, when they do bloom, they are the prettiest, fluffiest things I’ve ever seen! I’ll be sharing those pictures with you soon!

In the meantime, why not try to make pickled onions ahead of time…because they go well not only with this avocado sandwich, but also with any dish you may want to add a kick to! Your body will thank you for all the carotenoids, antioxidants, folate, and fibre from the avocado; as well as the probiotics from your pickled onions! Cheers to a healthy meal!

Avocado Sandwich with Pickled Onions

• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • two pinches of salt
  • ~~ For the avocado sandwich ~~
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • half a tomato, diced
  • juice of half a lime
  • cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional)
  • cheese (optional)
  • slices of sourdough or whole grain bread
  1. To make the pickled onion, put the vinegar in a heated sauce pan, add the jaggery or brown sugar, all the spices, garlic, and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
  2. Add the onions and cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  3. When cool, put the mixture into sterilized jars, cover with muslin and leave in the windowsill or outdoors for 1 week, shaking it daily.
  4. Alternatively, you can enjoy the pickled onions right away (without having to let it sit for a week).
  5. Enjoy it chilled or at room temperature.
  6. To assemble the avocado sandwich, slice the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the stone / seed with a knife, and slice and scoop out the fruit.
  7. Place avocado in a mixing bowl, add the diced tomato, squeeze the juice of half a lime, and add cilantro leaves.
  8. Gently mix and mash the avocado mixture. I prefer mine with big chunks.
  9. Scoop the avocado mixture on one slice of bread. Optional step: add cheese on another slice of bread and pass under the broiler to melt.
  10. Place one toast on top of the avocado spread to make a sandwich, and grill in a grill pan or panini press until bread is toasted softly crunchy.
  11. Serve with pickled onions and micro greens on the side.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 6, 2013 at 12:38 am

There’s nothing I like more than a vegetarian sandwich on hearty whole grain bread!

Raymund May 6, 2013 at 2:19 am

The first time I tried avocadoes as a savoury dish was here in NZ and I was shocked. I was so used to it as dessert back in the Philippines. At first I dont wanna try it in sandwich but when I tried it I instantly got hooked. Nice recipe!

CCU May 6, 2013 at 6:16 am

I have never tried such a perfect sandwich my friend :D

CCU

Sandra's Easy Cooking May 6, 2013 at 8:29 am

I love these sandwiches and that would be perfect for our weekend picnic. I wish cherry blossoms are all year around…i love scenery when they start to bloom–it is in one word magical!
Great post, recipe and delicious pictures. I wish you great Monday, Jen!

Coffee and Crumpets May 6, 2013 at 9:18 am

Yum! I love pickled onions! I like how you made them Indian flavoured…but I’ll take them any which way. Lovely avocado sandwich too….a good thing they are on sale this week 3 for $1…my fridge is stocked. I love avocado in any kind of sandwich and really like the idea of making the avocado the star. Great sandwich!

Nazneen

The Café Sucre Farine May 6, 2013 at 9:31 am

Gorgeous photos of a wonderful looking sandwich! Love anything with avocado and this looks spectacular. I love those little micro greens, so lovely!

Valerie May 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

It’s kind of sad the way cherry blossom trees start fading a few hours after they peak. This vibrant, flavourful sandwich would definitely cheer me up! :D

Yippie, for all the goodness of avocados!

Suzanne Perazzini May 6, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Salmon and avocado are a wonderful combination and I can just imagine them in this sandwich. I must find a good gluten-free bread recipe.

Patty May 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I’m singing praises of this avocado sandwich with pickled onions-just from looking at it! Love avocado and can’t wait to try your pickled onion recipe-looks just fantastic Jen ;-)

Suzanne May 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Beautiful sandwich Jen! Avocado is one of my favorite sandwiches the pickled onions sound pretty tasty to go with it. My parents just came to visit and brought us about 10 pounds of avocados from my dad’s tree.

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} May 6, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Jen – this is a perfect sandwich in my book! I am always facinated by unique condiments and yours is simply interesting. I need to make this and add it to a lot of different things. Hope you have a great week ahead!

Heather May 7, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh my this looks incredible, the pickled onions is definitely making this a 10!

That bread looks really good to :)

ashley - baker by nature May 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm

GORGEOUS!!! I want to dive into this sandwich head first!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts May 8, 2013 at 8:04 pm

LOVED the cherry blossoms in Tokyo, something I will never forget. What a great sandwich too, I could love on avocados!

joey @ 80 breakfasts May 10, 2013 at 6:44 am

That looks like an awesome sandwich! Love avocado! And those onions sound delicious…love making pickly things :)

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com May 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Absolutely beautiful sandwich! I just pinned a bunch of your recipes – your photography and recipes are amazing!

Nami | Just One Cookbook May 11, 2013 at 2:14 am

I was eating avocado every day this week. I’m not usually like this but something caused me to eat… I think it was a delicious looking sandwich I saw on pinterest. Now I saw another great looking sandwich which has yummy avocado… seriously, I do not mind at all having another avocado filled week next week! Gorgeous sandwich Jen!!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking May 11, 2013 at 9:07 am

Wow! That second pictures is just awesome. That sandwich had lots of potential to be ugly and just look at it. Beautiful! It’s been a while since your last post. I hope you’re just busy and that everything’s okay. :) I also take week breaks every now and then. And for no good reason! But they keep me sane.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic May 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I love avocado toast and hardly add anything else too it – but this sandwich does sound pretty amazing! I’ve had pickled onions in a burger before and it added just the right amount of crunch and flavor.
PS – hope you had a nice Mother’s Day :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 14, 2013 at 12:20 am

Healthy deliciousness! and i love the idea of pickled onions here :)

Lora @cakeduchess May 15, 2013 at 5:36 am

I’ve been thinking of pickling onions and then forget to do it. Now I will try your recipes-it looks so good! This is all I will want today for lunch and probably dinner. Love it. :)

Jean | Lemons & Anchovies May 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I can imagine the creamy avocado pairing nicely with the pickled onions though I might not have thought to put them together before. Will have to try it next time. So nice that you got to enjoy such a nice lunch in a beautiful setting! :)

The Squishy Monster May 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

The pickled onions really set this off for me…this is such a perfect sammy (especially for Spring)!!

Kirsten @ Green Global Travel February 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Quite a different sandwich, but it looks really good!