|Palak Paneer, Kashmiri Style || || |
Recipe Type: Main, Vegetarian
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) paneer cheese, diced
- 400 grams (14 oz) fresh spinach
- 2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- pinch of fenugreek seeds
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons garam masala powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 250 grams (9 oz / 1 cup) puréed tomatoes
- a dollop of yoghurt (optional)
- Cut the paneer into small 1-inch squares and fry over medium heat in a little bit of oil until golden. Set aside.
- Put the spinach, chillies, ginger, and salt in a pan over medium heat. Add a dash of water and wilt the spinach, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool, then wrap in cheesecloth (or use bare hands) to squeeze out excess water. You will be left with more or else half the weight of the fresh spinach you started with.
- Roughly chop spinach, or alternatively, purée in a blender or processor. Set aside.
- Heat more oil in a pan over medium heat, add the fenugreek seeds and stir-fry for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the onion and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, and garam masala and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and puréed tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the puréed spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the paneer, stirring gently for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of yoghurt.
Recipe by Tartine and Apron Strings at http://www.tartineandapronstrings.com/2013/04/21/palak-paneer-kashmiri-style/