Palak Paneer, Kashmiri Style

by Jen on April 21, 2013

I found myself glued to the telly and social media this past week, watching the events in Boston unfold. My heart really goes out to the innocent victims of the bombing, and here’s hoping that the grieving families and communities find peace in their hearts. Unfortunately, we live in a time in which a lot of people do a lot of bad things.

But fortunately, we humans are resilient, and we know how to bounce back. With the help of our family, friends, neighbours, community, we carry our yoke, but not alone. Therefore, this post is not about grieving, but about coming together in solidarity.

Today, I have an Indian dish for you. There’s this little Indian-Pakistani restaurant right beside my office building the I frequent every now and then. Last Friday, I discovered that the Pakistani family who owned it had sold the business to a young Chinese gentleman who will turn the place to a gourmet sandwich shop. I was so sad, mostly because I didn’t even get the chance to say goodbye to them.

I will remember their palak paneer (spinach with paneer cheese) well. Served with a side of paratha, pickled onions, and green chile chutney. Oh, I am going to miss this. This is my attempt at the classic Indian dish. There’s the more common Punjabi version with just spinach and basic spices. I made the Kashmiri version, with tomatoes and garam masala. A good vegetarian dish. Hope you enjoy!

Palak Paneer, Kashmiri Style
Recipe Type: Main, Vegetarian
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 4
  • 100 grams (3.5 oz) paneer cheese, diced
  • 400 grams (14 oz) fresh spinach
  • 2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
  • pinch of fenugreek seeds
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons garam masala powder
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 250 grams (9 oz / 1 cup) puréed tomatoes
  • a dollop of yoghurt (optional)
  1. Cut the paneer into small 1-inch squares and fry over medium heat in a little bit of oil until golden. Set aside.
  2. Put the spinach, chillies, ginger, and salt in a pan over medium heat. Add a dash of water and wilt the spinach, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Set aside to cool, then wrap in cheesecloth (or use bare hands) to squeeze out excess water. You will be left with more or else half the weight of the fresh spinach you started with.
  4. Roughly chop spinach, or alternatively, purée in a blender or processor. Set aside.
  5. Heat more oil in a pan over medium heat, add the fenugreek seeds and stir-fry for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
  6. Add the onion and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
  7. Add garlic, cumin seeds, and garam masala and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
  8. Add the chopped tomatoes and puréed tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  9. Add the puréed spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
  10. Add the paneer, stirring gently for 2 minutes.
  11. Serve warm with a dollop of yoghurt.

Suzanne April 21, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Great flavors in this dish, Indian flavors are always welcome with me. Beautiful photos so Springy with the fabric and lighting!

MizzJ April 22, 2013 at 12:56 am

This looks delicious!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 22, 2013 at 2:11 am

I agree that we should be focusing on the remarkable attitude of the people of Boston. They came together, supported one another and refused to be defeated. Majorly impressed. :)

This palak paneer is quite amazing. I want to make this myself!

CCU April 22, 2013 at 4:54 am

I love your gorgeous palak, it is an absolutely favourite curry!

Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers April 22, 2013 at 5:25 am

Wow Jen, this makes me seriously hungry. You always make me hungry!
I’m glad that the Boston episode is finished but the scar still remains. But then we all bounce back positivity with more solidarity.

Jean | Lemons & Anchovies April 22, 2013 at 9:56 am

It was a tough week last week and it will continue to be so for those directly affected. You’re right, though. We’re resilient and it’s so uplifting to see people come together at times like this.

I understand your disappointment for the closure of the Indian-Pakistani restaurant. Looks like you did your favorite restaurant justice, though, this is so appetizing–even at 8 in the morning. :)

Coffee and Crumpets April 22, 2013 at 10:32 am

Great job with the palak paneer! Looks delicious Jen. The great thing about where you live though…there are SO many Indian Pakistani restaurants. I hope you find another one to replace the one you lost.

Nazneen xx

Laura (Tutti Dolci) April 22, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’ve never tried palak paneer but these flavors sound wonderful together!

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma April 22, 2013 at 1:10 pm

LOVE Palak Paneer. I have never thought to make it, but this gives me the inspiration to do so. And that is the point, right? To share inspiration, to connect, to support, to give warmth and love…especially during this difficult time. In the spirit of sharing and inspiring, I posted this on our Vegetarian Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/deliciouskarma/vivacious-vegetarian-dishes

Valerie April 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Last week was mentally exhausting, and just an all out drain on the spirit. However, I was touched by how resilient we are – hearing Yankee stadium sing “Sweet Caroline” was beautiful (even on TV!). :)

It’s always sad when a favourite restaurant closes without notice, especially when it’s one that holds a lot of memories. Your Palak Paneer is beautiful – I know I’d come back for seconds (and thirds)!

Andi April 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Wow looks and sounds amazing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 23, 2013 at 2:41 am

Paneer has been on my bucket list of recipes to make…now you just reminded me I need to get on that!

Jen @ Savory Simple April 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

It was quite an interesting week and I’m glad the bad guys were captured quickly. This is a lovely recipe. Paneer is my favorite.

Nami | Just One Cookbook April 23, 2013 at 11:59 am

So pretty Jen!!!! I wouldn’t know how to take a picture of dark food, but you just do it so “light” and “dreamy”! How do you do that!?!?

Patty April 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Wow, this dish looks flavorful and good! The pictures are drawing me in and I find myself trying to pick up a fork to reach in for a bite! The world can be such a frightening place-good time to give our loved ones big hugs and count our blessings, that’s for sure!

Raymund April 24, 2013 at 1:53 am

I never made paneer before and you just gave me that inspiration. Thats a nice dish

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Last week’s tragedy has definitely shaken our core and beliefs in everything. It’s so hard to bounce back but food is definitely helping.

Your version of palak paneer is a great homage. So delish.

Lora @cakeduchess April 24, 2013 at 8:43 pm

It was a horrible week, that’s for sure. I love what you wrote, Jen. I need to cook Indian more often and this recipe is so tempting me so…:)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts April 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

We humans sure are resilient! Kind of sad at times to think how we got this way :(
Love this dish, the garam masala and ginger sound fabulous!

Sandra's Easy Cooking April 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Very delicious and beautifully presented. I am sorry that you will not be able to eat there anymore but you made homemade which I am sure is 10 times better. Gorgeous images–to be honest I want to lick my screen hahaha
I wish you great up coming weekend!!!

Carla @ Gluten Free Recipe Box April 27, 2013 at 1:29 am

Jen,

You are so right. Our nation has come through so much in the past decade or more. We are strong!

Meanwhile, though I am allergic to tomatoes, I will definitely have to create a workaround for this recipe – perhaps bell peppers. Bell peppers and a bit of sugar or stevia are my go-to subs for tomatoes.

Thanks for sharing. I love your blog!

Amy (Savory Moments) April 27, 2013 at 6:04 am

Your curry looks fantastic! I love trying to make different Indian dishes at home. This looks even prettier than most restaurant versions.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking April 28, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I’m sorry that the restaurant closed down. :( But at least you have this. That’s something, right? But it stinks you didn’t get a chance to say goodbye.

And these are some beautiful pictures!

Heather April 29, 2013 at 10:16 am

Oh my goodness, this dish looks so good- I too would be saddened if my fave foodie place was being replaced, I need to make this with tofu – looks so so so good!

ashley - baker by nature May 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm

How do you make everything so darn pretty?! And really, I have to try making this at home asap.

Laura August 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Yum love this recipe. Pinning now! Indian curries are pretty much the only way I want my spinach. :)