Market Mediterranean Pizza

by Jen on February 1, 2013

*This Market Mediterranean Pizza is gluten-free, grain-free, and lactose-free. It is vegetarian, SCD- and Paleo-friendly.*

We’re just about done with our kitchen renovation, wooh-hoo (happy dance)! Only the stone countertop and sink are left to be mounted, and they’re going in tomorrow! I can’t wait to live (and cook and eat) normally once again. After weeks of take-outs and turmoil, I’d be glad to have my kitchen back.

In spite of this renovation, I was able to start my SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and/or Paleo Diet, and had managed to lose 8 pounds in 2 weeks! I ate lean meats, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, and reduced my dairy intake; I cut out grains, gluten, legumes, lactose, and refined sugars.

Then came the craving for pizza – I had to something about it. I managed to whip out this gluten- and grain-free pizza atop cardboard boxes laid on our bare cabinets. I ran 10 steps to our bathroom sink to wash my hands or clean utensils then ran back and then some more. It got ridiculously frustrating to do anything properly! But even if I took double the time to finish this pizza, it was quite worth the effort.

So, I have good news and bad news for you. Which one would you like to hear first?

Here’s the bad news first. I am not going to lie to you: this GF pizza does not even come close to the real thing. I mean, pizza is one of the best things in life – irreplaceable. There’s nothing like it, and a gluten- and grain-free version is just not the same. But since I made a commitment to cut out evil wheat and grains (for now), I suppose sacrifices are inevitable. This is one of them.

But the good news is: it’s edible, it’s healthy, and it has such interesting flavours minus the blood-sugar spike! Would you believe that the crust is made from shredded eggplant (rich in antioxidant phytochemicals), flaxseed meal (rich in fibre and omega’s), and almond meal (rich in nutrients)?! While it will never replace the real thing, with great toppings, it can be transformed!

I topped this pizza with typical market vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, and tomato. You can also opt to add smoked bacon to it, for you Paleos out there.

Without further ado…

Market Mediterranean Pizza
Author:
Recipe Type: Main, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Lactose-Free
Serves: 2

This recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, grain-free, lactose-free, Paleo- and SCD-appropriate.
  • 250 grams (about 2) peeled, shredded, and drained Italian eggplant*(See Note)
  • 48 grams (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp) ground flaxseed
  • 28 grams (4 tablespoons) blanched almond flour
  • 1 jumbo egg
  • 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cold-pressed olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • green zucchini, sliced thinly
  • yellow zucchini, sliced thinly
  • baby eggplant, sliced thinly
  • graffiti eggplant, sliced thinly
  • yellow or orange hothouse tomatoes, sliced thinly
  • olive oil for brushing
  • micro greens for garnish
  • balsamic vinegar for drizzling
  1. Coarsely shred peeled Italian eggplants with a hand grater or food processor with shredder attachment. Let sit for 5 minutes. In handfuls or using a cheesecloth, wrap the shredded eggplant and squeeze out excess liquid.
  2. In a large bowl, mix well the shredded eggplant, ground flaxseed, almond flour, egg, oil, salt, and pepper until it forms a wet ball. Turn dough out on a piece of parchment paper.
  3. Press mixture into a 9" x 11" rectangle, about ⅛" to ¼" thick. If needed, use a baking tray of the specified size as a guide.
  4. Transfer the shaped dough, still on the parchment paper, to a cookie sheet with open sides. Open-sided cookie sheets will make it easier to slide the pizza in and out.
  5. Meanwhile, slice the vegetables into thin coins and set aside. You will probably only need half of each vegetable. Set aside. If you prefer, wrap sliced vegetables in plastic wrap to prevent any discolouration.
  6. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
  7. Place sheet on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven and top the crust with another parchment paper, then using another tray, flip over. Peel off top parchment.
  9. Top the crust with the sliced vegetable coins, alternating them. Brush or spray with olive oil. Season with sea salt.
  10. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
  11. Garnish with micro greens and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
*The final amount of peeled, shredded, and drained eggplant must be 250 grams in total. Make sure to drain liquid first before weighing. To drain, wrap eggplant in cheesecloth, let sit for 5 minutes, then squeeze all the liquid out.

Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers February 1, 2013 at 4:13 am

Poor you Jen, I can imagine how frustrating it is to cook and try to function without a proper kitchen with 3 kids even! But I have to hand it to you because you did a splendid job in making this pizza. Gluten-free! You really are true to your diet. Keep it up and keep the recipes coming! One more day and you will claim your domain again!

Mom-Friday February 1, 2013 at 5:21 am

Amazing! I can’t do what you do. I BOW to you! The pizza looks really good – esp. with the cute boy!

CCU February 1, 2013 at 5:42 am

Is there anything you can’t make? MY FRIEND THIS IS GENIUS :D

CCU

Tina Ong February 1, 2013 at 8:36 am

Wow! 8 lbs in 2 weeks is something worth raving about! Congratulations for losing the weight really fast.

Tessa February 1, 2013 at 9:35 am

Gorgeous photos! I hope that you share photos of your remodeled kitchen when it is complete! Have a great weekend!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet February 1, 2013 at 10:51 am

lol Love your candid review on this pizza! :) Looks gorgeous as everything you make, my friend! Your kiddo is so cute!!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) February 1, 2013 at 11:22 am

This is seriously gorgeous, Jen! I think I’d happily dig into this beauty!

Suzanne February 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

This is a gorgeous pizza with all the fresh veggies I would love to dig into this. I’m really impressed with your creation here and even if it not the real crust so at least it’s pizza. I have to hand it to you it’s tough enough being a food blogger and being on a special diet then add a kitchen renovation to the mix and little kids, my hat goes off to you.

wok with ray February 1, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Very colorful and gorgeous pizza. I’ve been through that kitchen reno thing and the inconvenience really gets old quickly. You must be excited about the new kitchen and I can’t wait to see. Have a good weekend, Jen! :)

Andi February 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Looks soooo good!

Jean | Lemons & Anchovies February 1, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Well, you sure made it look pretty. I’d happily eat this, authentic pizza or not. Congrats, too, on the weight loss, yay! I’ve been shedding extra pounds, too, and when I reached my pre-blogging weight a couple of weeks ago guess what I did? I stuffed myself!

Keep up the great work and looking forward to you sharing pix of your new kitchen. :)

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} February 1, 2013 at 9:14 pm

You certainly made one beautiful looking pizza, despite your “bad news” related to the pizza. Great to hear your kitchen is almost complete – I know it feels like eternity but the result is well worth it and it will seem like years ago very soon. Contrats on the weight loss – that is truly an accomplishment. I have been scaling back and jumping on the treadmill more. It makes a difference! Enjoy your weekend.

Valerie February 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Congratulations on the soon-to-be-complete kitchen reno. and the diet success! I hope you will treat yourself to something wonderful once both are happily set. :D

Splendid pizza! Those vibrant colours are putting me in a good mood!

The Kitchen Boudoir February 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This pizza is the visual equivalent of at least 1000 I.U.s of Vitamin D on this grey and damp cold February day – I felt happier and healthier just looking at it. Congratulations on the new almost-complete kitchen and weight loss!

suzanne Perazzini February 2, 2013 at 1:15 am

It certainly looks good and congratulations of the weight loss. It has also fallen off me and I am eating as much as I want. I think I have the ultimate paleo pizza base and will feature it soon.

Jen February 2, 2013 at 1:24 am

Suzanne, you have to share it soon! I’m always on the lookout for new gluten- and grain-free pizza crust! Can’t wait to see and try yours!

Nancy/SpicieFoodie February 2, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Hi Jen! I hope your kitchen is up and running now. The pizza sounds and looks delicious. Eggplant is a huge hit in my house so I love that it’s the base. Definitely have to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa February 3, 2013 at 5:47 am

What a superb recipe. I will be making that this week for sure. I know what you mean about never being able to truly replicate a proper pizza. But near enough is good enough.

Julia {The Roasted Root} February 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’m psyched about this recipe! Shredded eggplant in the crust, holy mother of awesomeness, I never would have thought of that! Your pizza looks fresh and delicious. Congrats on going strong with the paleo diet…it truly is a wonderful way of life if you’re not like me and don’t throw yourself off the wagon with a gallon of ice cream ;) Gorgeous recipe and definitely a must try!

Raymund February 4, 2013 at 2:15 am

Wow not just a yummy recipe its also an eye candy!

Sandra's Easy Cooking February 4, 2013 at 7:45 am

Congrats on the weight loss, Jen! I said it before and I will say it again..I am so proud of you! This pizza may not come to a close thing but sure looks appetizing and colorful…and I love, love the fact that your adorable baby is eating it! Way to go mama!
Can’t wait to see your next healthy creation!

Malin February 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Of course paleo-pizza can never compare, or even come close to the real thing… I mean, without flour, yeast, not to mention cheese??? That being said – your pizza looks gorgeous, and so appetizing! All those lovely colours – and textures, I imagine! I´d love a slize or two, or, who am I kidding: the entire thing! ;)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts February 4, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Congrats on 8 pounds, I wish I could do that. I lack so much will power! Pizza looks so fresh, love all the veggies!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking February 4, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I’m always looking for new ways to use eggplant. What a great idea Jen. The pizza looks fabulous!

mjskit February 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Now that is one healthy and delicious looking pizza!!! So much color makes it as huge in vitamins as it is in flavor! Beautiful post!

Patty February 6, 2013 at 12:15 am

Wow-this has to be the most creative healthy to eat pizza I’ve ever seen!!!
Also- very pretty with all the sliced veggies-it looks delicious Jen;-)
Congrats on your weight loss-I’m sure you feel fantastic;-) I hope you share some pics of your new kitchen-congrats on that project too!!!

heather February 6, 2013 at 8:52 am

Yay for Kitchen Renos that are almost complete! OMG I don’t think anyone would notice that this didn’t taste just like “pizza” it is too beautiful not to love, everyone will be so distracted by all the beautiful colors! You seriously make the prettiest food :)

Aimee @ ShugarySweets February 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm

This looks much healthier than the Deep Dish pizza I posted today! But I’m sure this tastes amazing, love the colors!

junko February 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This looks very interesting. I might try it tomorrow since I have so many vegetables left :)
Btw, a questions (don’t make fun of me)… legumes means vegetables in French. How do you eat lots of veggies and cut out on legumes when they are the same? (<- confused non-native speaker of English)

Jen February 14, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hi,
It’s just a Paleo thing. They’ve “banned” legumes (chickpeas, lentils, beans, peanuts) because they have bowel or stomach irritating properties. Also, many legumes here in North America are GMO’s (genetically modified organisms). Certainly, if you have no medically-indicated problems or sensitivies, feast in wonderful legumes – they’re delicious!

Sarah, Simply Cooked February 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

Beautiful. I like that you used eggplant in the crust. I really appreciate ideas to replace grains with healthy stuff – not strange ingredients. Thanks a lot for the inspiration!

Laurie February 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Your recipe looked delicious. I also am doing paleo/raw food/ no grains, dairy, sugar, wheat etc. I made a crust from taking shredded vegetables from the juicer which are nice and dry and adding to flax seed and water and letting it soak overnight till thick. Then putting it on parchment paper on the dehydrator and drying as long as you like depending on how crisp you like it. I also stick sesame seed and sunflower seeds on top of the gooey mixture before closing up the dehydrator. Just an idea.

Roger January 11, 2014 at 4:16 pm

A great substitute for the flaxseed flour, because coconut flour. It emulates flour very well. Can also substitute, instead of eggplant, cooked puréed butternut squash. for a pinch of sweet try ground dried dates.

Rachael F. March 21, 2014 at 6:08 am

Made this yesterday (with a little vegan cheese on top) and loved it!!! Thanks for helping me figure out something to do with eggplant!

Kim April 4, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Take this topping mixture, put it on purchased “Against the Grain” frozen pizza crust. Awesome. Almost genuine pizza. Have been using this crust for quite a while. Even our “eat all the gluten I can” friends love it. But this topping recipe will take this crust to a new level. Thanks!

Jen July 25, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Thanks for the tip! I will be searching for Against the Grain pizza crust – can’t wait to try!

Judith April 17, 2014 at 9:32 pm

This look delicious! Just a note: flaxseed is not SCD legal…

Jen July 25, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Hi Judith, Oh no! I think I got the wrong info then! Will look into that! Thanks for the feedback!