Blueberry Muffins with Almond Streusel

by Jen on January 16, 2013

So here we are, in the middle of a messy kitchen renovation. The space that we used to call our home has turned into a war zone of barricaded areas, hostile grounds, and dangerous territories. Ha! Has anybody ever told you that children and renovations don’t go well together? With 3 small kids, and just one of me (my lucky husband gets to go to work), I feel ravaged by the time breakfast comes around.

Lucky for me, I’ve already made these delicious blueberry muffins from Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bakery cookbook.

I rarely say “the best” of anything and all that jazz, but this blueberry muffin is no ordinary blueberry muffin. It might be the best recipe I’ve tried. It’s, like, Thomas Keller and his team can do no wrong at all! Read the “Notes” section of the recipe below for some tips.

I’ve made two substitutions in all: 1) I used maple syrup in lieu of molasses for the batter; 2) I used muscovado sugar in lieu of regular sugar for the streusel. Although I’ve made these changes, the muffins turned out fine, with a nice, tender crumb and a deep flavour.

I’m keeping my post sweet and simple today. Just like these muffins that I’ve fallen in love with. I urge you to try the recipe and let me know how it turns out for you. I’m confident it is one of the best muffins out there.

Blueberry Muffins with Almond Streusel
Recipe Type: breakfast, snack, muffins
Serves: 6 large muffins or 9 medium muffins

Recipe adapted (with minor changes) from Bouchon Bakery Cookbook by Thomas Keller and Sebastien Rouxel. Published by Artisan in 2012.
  • ~~ For the Blueberry Muffins ~~
  • 180 grams (3/4 cup) frozen or fresh wild blueberries
  • 10 grams (1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour +
  • 86 grams (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
  • 109 grams (3/4 cup + 1-1/2 tbsp) cake flour
  • 2.8 grams (1/2 + ⅛ tspn) baking powder
  • 2.8 grams (1/2 + ⅛ tsp) baking soda
  • 2.4 grams (3/4 tsp) sea salt
  • 96 grams (3.4 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 96 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
  • 40 grams (2 tbsp) unsulfured blackstrap molasses [or substitute with maple syrup like I did]
  • 54 grams (2-1/2 tbsp) honey, like clover
  • 72 grams (about 1-1/2 large) eggs
  • 1.2 grams (1/4 tsp) vanilla paste
  • 57 grams (1/4 cup) buttermilk
  • 150 grams (3/4 cup + 1 tbsp) Almond Streusel [see below for recipe]
  • ~~ For the Almond Streusel ~~
  • 60 grams (3/8 cup + 2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
  • 60 grams (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) almond meal / flour
  • 60 grams (1/4 cup + 1-1/2 tbsp) granulated sugar or muscovado sugar [I used muscovado]
  • 0.3 grams (1/8 tsp) kosher salt
  • 60 grams (2 oz) cold, unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
  1. For the muffin batter: Toss the blueberries with the 10 grams of flour in a small bowl and place in freezer.
  2. Place remaining 86 grams of flour in a medium bowl. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt and whisk together.
  3. Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, turn to medium-low speed, and cream the butter until it is the consistency of mayonnaise.
  4. Add the sugar and mix on medium-low speed for about 1 minute, until mixture is fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the molasses and honey and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, until just combined.
  5. Add the egg and vanilla paste, and mix for 30 seconds until just combined.
  6. Add half the flour mixture and mix on low speed for 15 seconds, or until just combined. Add half the buttermilk and mix for 15 to 30 seconds to combine. Repeat with remaining flour, followed by the remaining buttermilk.
  7. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and scrape the bottom of the bowl to incorporate any dry ingredients that have settled there. Transfer the batter to a covered container and refrigerate overnight, or for up to 36 hours.
  8. To bake the muffins, preheat the oven to 425 F. Line the muffin pan with muffin papers, if using, and spray the papers with nonstick cooking spray.
  9. Remove the batter from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes to soften.
  10. Stir in the frozen blueberries into the batter and spoon batter evenly into muffin papers, stopping about ⅜ inch from the top (about 140 grams each muffin). Sprinkle 30 grams / a generous 3 tablespoons of the streusel on top.
  11. Place the pan in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 325 F, and bake for 36 to 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and a tester inserted in the centre comes out (pretty) clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
  12. The muffins are best the day they are baked, but they can ve wrapped individually in a few layers of plastic wrap or stored in a single layer in a covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 week.
  13. To make the Almons Streusel Topping: Combine the all-purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl, and whisk to break up any lumps.
  14. Add the butter and toss to coat the pieces. Work the mixture with your fingertips, breaking the butter into pieces no larger than ⅛ inch and combining it with the flour mixture. Do not overwork the mixture or allow the butter to become soft. If it does, place the bowl in the refrigerator to harden the butter before continuing, about 15 to 30 minutes.
  15. Transfer the streusel to a covered container or resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month. Use the streusel while it is cold.
  16. Makes about 220 grams (approximately 3-1/2 cups).
Thomas Keller suggests resting the batter overnight, or for as long as 36 hours, to allow the flour to hydrate (absorb liquid). Resting the batter also enhances flavour and gives better crumb. I absolutely stand by this! It really makes a difference in the muffins, elevating them into another level of deliciousness.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Beautiful muffins, I love the almond streusel!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic January 16, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I have yet to eat at any of Thomas Keller’s restaurants and I think I would go crazy at Bouchon when I get there. These sound perfect, with the almond streusel. I’ve never heard of letting muffin batter rest overnight, but it makes sense! Thanks for sharing that tip.

Katie January 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hi Jen,

I recently discovered your blog and I just want to say DROOL. Your photography and styling is to die for- and it’s certainly inspired me to get baking like crazy :) Looking forward to reading many more of your posts (and possibly whipping up a batch or three of those muffins- YUM)

Katie

Jean | Lemons & Anchovies January 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Hang in there–just think of how much you’ll enjoy your new kitchen when it’s all done. Easy for me to say, right?! I don’t have kids to manage when stuff is being done around the house. Our dining room chairs (and bay window seating) are being re-upholstered right now so seating is limited. Hopefully, it won’t be much longer for you.

Now about these muffins. You had me at blueberries and almond streusel.

Patty January 16, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Always love your photos Jen!!!
I wish I could have one of your blueberry muffins-they look just perfect;-)
Hope all is well with your remodel;-)

The Kitchen Boudoir January 16, 2013 at 7:31 pm

As you know, I am right with you in that culinary crush on Chef Keller, and these blueberry muffins do look so good! I am also with you on those kitchen renovations – mine was totally renovated a while ago (new floors, cupboards, etc.) and for two weeks I ate my ‘meals’ (mostly Pho from the place across the street) in my living room wedged between all the boxes, kitchen paraphernalia, furniture, etc. It took a toll emotionally, but in the end was so worth it. Also, I now know how to lay kitchen floors (and not just ON them, as my profile picture suggests). :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 16, 2013 at 7:45 pm

They look so light and tender, Keller never disappoints!

Raymund January 16, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Those are very nice looking muffins

Suzanne January 17, 2013 at 12:51 am

One of my all time favorite muffins!! Oh I feel for you, I hate messes and renovations are the toughest. Good luck I’m sure it will be beautiful.

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 17, 2013 at 1:36 am

Love that even in the midst of remodeling you are able to crank out a beautiful post! I recently purchased his new book and LOVE it. You will have to post some photos (before and after) when your kitchen is complete. I am sure it will be stunning!!!!

Tina Ong (@PhenomenalMama) January 17, 2013 at 7:55 am

Yummy! I top my muffins with streusel most of the times, too. But instead of almond meal, I add ground flaxseed and toasted wheatgerm to mine.

Good luck with the kitchen reno, and I can’t wait to see your new kitchen.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 17, 2013 at 9:33 am

Wow, these are some super lovely muffins. I adore blueberry muffins.

Tessa January 17, 2013 at 9:48 am

Gorgeous muffins! They look light and flavorful!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet January 17, 2013 at 11:27 am

The tops on these are so pretty! Make them even more irresistible!

Choc Chip Uru January 17, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I wish I could eat these everyday for breakfast :)

Suzanne Perazzini January 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm

We renovated 12 houses over not many more years while our son was growing up so I do understand and with 3 children, it must be chaos. It sure pays to be organised and have foods prepared in advance.

The Squishy Monster January 18, 2013 at 12:40 am

I’m such a fan of blueberry + almond. I must try this. I love your petal wrappers too..cute! =)

Mom-Friday January 18, 2013 at 4:40 am

Lovely muffins! I like blueberry and cheese muffins!
I have not baked in a while now… muffins are not as popular as cupcakes and cookies in this household so I have to bookmark this for future use. I’m the only one craving for this!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts January 18, 2013 at 11:54 am

I hope your renovations go quickly, and you are back in the kitchen before you know it! Gorgeous muffins!

Ashley - baker by nature January 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Ooooh I can’t wait to hear all about your new kitchen! It’ll be worth all the chaos in the end, I’m sure ;)

Now, on to these muffins! They look seriously perfect… And I want a tray immediately.

Magic of Spice January 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Gorgeous muffins Jen! I hope your kitchen renovation runs smoothly and quickly :)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking January 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Keller’s book is one of my favorite! all the recipes are spot on! just like these gorgeous muffins. perfect for breakfast or in the lunch box.
I can’t wait to see photos from your kitchen.

The Café Sucré Farine January 19, 2013 at 10:19 pm

These look so delicious! What a treat to have these in your stash while your kitchen is being renovated. I know it’s rough with the little ones but it will be so worth it! Hope it gets done even quicker than anticipated!

Valerie January 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

Muffins are soothing! I can see how enjoying one (or more!) could help you deal with the chaos in your kitchen. :D
Love your tender photos!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I wish I could have this for breakfast every morning!

Cass @foodmyfriend January 21, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I can relate and I feel very sorry for you! Love this recipe. It looks so beautiful… as usual :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook January 22, 2013 at 1:33 am

Hope renovation is going well for you! I know it’s not easy with the kids, especially when they spend most of time at home! I love your almond streusel topping. And blueberry is my favorite ingredient for muffins. Wish I have this for breakfast tomorrow!

Cary January 22, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I have made these muffins twice and the molasses at 40 grams makes them taste like a molasses muffin instead of a blueberry muffin. On my second try I reduced the molasses to about 20 grams, and they tasted better but still had a strong molasses flavor. Did you find the same? Aside from that, the muffin is very moist with great texture.

Jen January 23, 2013 at 12:45 am

Hi, Cary! Thanks for dropping me a line. As noted on my recipe, I actually substituted the molasses with equal parts maple syrup. That’s 1 of the 2 changes I made in the recipe. I don’t really like the taste of molasses and I didn’t want to buy a bottle just so I can make this recipe…so I just made it with maple syrup, and I think that may have made quite a difference in taste. I liked it with the maple syrup. Perhaps if you try with maple syrup in the future, let me know how it goes for you!
Take Care,
Jen

heather January 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

These do look perfect! I am a sucker for anything blueberry :)

Good luck with the renos!

Loretta February 8, 2013 at 4:53 am

This recipe sounds so complex! LOL but it is the infamous Keller so must be worth it!

Christina February 25, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Wow – stunning photos and all while you are enduring a kitchen reno! So pleased I discovered your site.

Kris May 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

Could you tell me how/where you adapted this recipe? How it differs from the original? Also, the instructions have no reference of where to add the eggs.

Jen May 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Hi, I replied to your personal email. And thanks for the head’s up re: egg. I’ve updated the recipe…

T.Pat. December 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I just used the crumb topping for my coffee cake, it worked so well! So happy Google search led me here.