Eggnog Crêpes

by Jen on December 22, 2012

Never tried eggnog before? No worries, neither have I! When I worked at a coffee house a million years ago, we used to make these eggnog caffé lattes that everyone went ga-ga for during the holiday season. Must have been the heady mix of nutmeg and rum that made the egg-based drink insanely popular. I’ve probably made hundreds of them, but surprisingly, I have never tried eggnog in any way, shape, or form. Until now.

To those who are unfamiliar with eggnog, it is a dairy-based beverage made with milk, cream, and whipped eggs, and is commonly spiked with some kind of liquor, like brandy, rum, or whiskey.

My first foray into eggnog was with these trusty ol’ crêpes! They’re perfect to get into the holiday spirit for! If you have leftover eggnog from making drinks, coffee cakes, or muffins, here’s another way to use them up (I used store-bought eggnog).

I promise, the resulting crêpes taste just like regular ones – but with a tad more sweetness, a hint of spiciness, and bit of booziness (without having to deal with a drunk uncle).

Some ideas on how to dress these babies up: flambée Cointreau orange liqueur to make Crêpes Suzette; or scoop some vanilla ice cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce and banana slices to make a Banana Split; or slather some Nutella to make a classic French snack; or wrap diced ham and cheese to make a savoury Croque Monsieur wrap.

Or do it like how we did it: simply sprinkled with icing sugar and topped with fresh fruits! Good for breakfast on christmas morning and beyond!

To make it into a delicious dessert, pour some hot eggnog cream sauce (can be made by simmering eggnog with sugar and butter) for some holiday cheer…

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!

Eggnog Crêpes
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Snack
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 10 pancakes
  • 1-1/2 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
  • a pinch of sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (475 ml) eggnog, homemade or store-bought
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
  • melted butter for frying
  1. Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs.
  2. Gradually mix the ingredients together, adding enough eggnog for the batter to have the consistency of heavy cream.
  3. Stir in the milk. Do not overmix, as this will result in rubbery crêpes.
  4. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove lumps. Discard any lumps that can’t be push through the sieve.
  5. Refrigerate the batter for a minimum of one hour, or overnight.
  6. When ready to be used, remove the batter from the refrigerator and gently stir for a few strokes, as it may have thickened or congealed upon standing. Add more milk, if necessary, to give it the consistency of heavy cream.
  7. Heat a 6- or 7-inch nonstick pan or crêpe pan over medium heat and brush with some melted butter.
  8. Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons (or three-quarters of a regular large ladle) of the batter into the pan and quickly swirl the pan so the batter covers the whole inside. Cook for 1 minute, loosen around the edge with a spatula, then turn over the other side and cook for another minute.
  9. Slide out of the pan to a plate. Repeat the steps until you use up all the batter, greasing the pan with butter between each crêpe.
  10. Serve warm. To keep crêpes warm, place them on a baking sheet, cover loosely with foil, and place in the oven at 250 F (130 C). Will keep in the refrigerator, covered in plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

This is gorgeous and delicious! PS: The eggnog latter you mentioned sounds fabulous!

Amy (Savory Moments) December 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Eggnog in crepes – what a great and very festive idea! Your photos are really beautiful, too.

Patty December 22, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I like this idea for a Christmas morning breakfast-I’m glad you shared Jen;-)
Merry Christmas to you!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm

These crepes are beauties, I’m officially inviting myself for breakfast! :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic December 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I love eggnog! These look perfect for a holiday breakfast!
PS – Merry Christmas from the Philippines :)

Raymund December 23, 2012 at 3:14 am

Perfectly looking crepes, nice thickness.
Anyways have a Merry Christmas to you and your family!

MizzJ December 23, 2012 at 4:13 am

Wow you really outdid yourself with the arrangement of these photos! It looks straight out of a magazine spread :)

amy @ fearless homemaker December 23, 2012 at 9:38 am

How lovely! I really enjoy eggnog this time of year, but I don’t usually just drink it straight-up — it can be a bit heavy for me. So I prefer it baked or cooked into dishes, just like this. YUM!

Tessa December 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

What a beautiful idea for Christmas breakfast! Gorgeous wintery photos!

Valerie December 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Jen, I’m in love with the mood of these photos. They’re warm, yet very “chill” at the same time. Brilliant. I wish I could surround myself with this kind of feeling and walk around with it all day. :)

I’m not an eggnog fan (unless it’s ridiculously spiked!), but I could easily enjoy it in the form of crêpes!

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ December 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I didn’t know I had to put the mixture in the fridge! Great tips for great crepes.

Magic of Spice December 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What a fantastic recipe Jen! These are a must try, and they look just perfect!

Liren December 24, 2012 at 2:33 am

So. Amazing. Just beautiful, your styling is so lovely!

But let’s put that aside. I have always been intrigued by eggnog but just made some too, recently, and now I’ve gone ga ga, using eggnog in lots of recipes! I do adore it :)

Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family, Jen!!!

marla December 24, 2012 at 8:20 am

Beautiful! Love these crepes. Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) December 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

Crepes and eggnog together sound magical!!

suzanne Perazzini December 25, 2012 at 3:55 am

Eggnog crepes are such a great Christmas idea. I would definitely use rum in my eggnog. You have made those simple crepes look so gorgeous in your photos. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Yelena December 25, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I never had eggnog, but crapes are my favorite breakfast, dessert, lunch, dinner, you name it! Very interesting recipe and the pictures are so wonderful!

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} December 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

WOW – these look and sound incredible! I rarely have egg nog but might have to make these super soon. Your photos are breath taking!!!

Mama Rosie December 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Make sure you make me some when I get back home ! Give me a sample with my Bailey’s.

Nami | Just One Cookbook December 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This is soooo beautiful! You really have beautiful artistic talent, Jen. I’m a huge crepe fan yet never heard of or tried “eggnog” crepes! Such a lovely holiday treat. Hope you had a nice Christmas with your family. Happy New Year to you and your family, and looking forward to more of your amazing recipes next year! xo
p.s. I cannot login to pinterest (got blocked!) otherwise I’ll pin this beautiful photography… :( Will do when I get it back!

Nami | Just One Cookbook December 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Never mind it’s solved and pinned. :D

Sandra's Easy Cooking December 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I have to be honest I never tried eggnog:) but Crepes are my favorite any time of the day treat, sweet or savory!
Loving your recipe and your pictures making me drool! I hope you had wonderful Christmas! xo

Lora @cakeduchess December 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I’m not the hugest fan of drinking eggnog but am loving the baking inspiration I found with it this winter online. These crepes look spectacular and I’d love a bite, Jen.

Heather December 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I have been wanting to make baked frenchtoast with eggnog forever, these crepes look amazing though! I actually had never had eggnog until I met Justin….I love the vegan version of seasonal nog :)

BEAUTIFUL pics as always :) xoxo

The Kitchen Boudoir December 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Excellent use for eggnog! Some family friends who were chefs once brought some homemade eggnog to a Christmas party – it was probably the richest (and most deliciously creamy) thing I’ve ever had. SO good. They also packaged it really beautifully in one of those vintage glass bottles with the flip top lids and their own homemade label. Whoa sense memory! In my imagination, I am now drinking it while eating these crepes.

Carley January 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Tried making these and they were a DISASTER. They stuck to the pan no matter how much oil we put in the pan.

Jen January 3, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hi, Carley: I sent you an email.

Sherri@ The Well Floured Kitchen October 29, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This is a brilliant concept. My mind is spinning with ideas of how to use these over the holidays. Pinning!

Christine (CookTheStory) December 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I love eggnog, and have since I can remember. Since I am the only one in my family who does, these crepes are perfect to use up the left over eggnog. Thanks

Eleanor December 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I’m so sorry if this was included and I just didn’t read carefully enough, but does anyone know about how many crêpes would one batch of these make?

PS. This looks like a delightful recipe! Thank you so much Jen.