Two-Cheese Carrot and Zucchini Tart with Garlic-Parsley Oil

by Jen on December 5, 2012

From time to time, I get hit with a serious case of longing for all things French. French fashion. French movies. French tableware. French chocolates. French food. In fact, it is quite alarming how I spend many hours at any given day waxing nostalgic about places I’ve travelled to and foods I’ve tasted in France.

My daughter always asks me when we can go to Paris. I want to say, “now!” but dear husband and I mutually agreed that we have to wait until she’s older so that she can actually make the most out of the experience. And anyway, we have 3 really small children right now, and it would be an absolute horror to bring 3 strollers to a trip. We’ve travelled with 2 kids before, but 3 kids totally changes the game! Perhaps, a cruise or an all-inclusive vacation – where our things stay put – might be the way to go for now, although that was never our preferred style of travelling. Until, at least, 1 or 2 out of 3  kids can get through the day without a nap anymore, I highly doubt that we’ll be going anywhere fancy just yet.

As a result, I resort to reveries and wistfulness and inspired leaps of fantasy to get me my daily dose of travel inspiration. One day, I was pondering about my time in the Cote d’Azur – in Nice, specifically – where I had packed le pique nique down to the beach by le Promenade des Anglais. I stopped by a traiteur to grab a few slices of savoury tarts, very much like this one I made here.

There’s nothing like sitting by the sea, breathing in the saline air, enjoying a sip of lemon pressé, and grazing on a lovely lunch (and oh, people-watching, too).

Oh, how I remember those savoury French tarts so well…This tart today is not far removed from those ones in Nice. Except my crusts are gluten-free! Don’t fret, dear friend, if the tart crust looks a drab grayish-brown – it’s because it is made of brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat flours. It’s a pleasure nibbling on this pillow-y, creamy tart!

Two-Cheese Carrot and Zucchini Tart with Garlic-Parsley Oil
Recipe Type: Main, Gluten-Free
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 40 mins
Serves: 12-inch rectangular or round tart
Sort of adapted from La Tartine Gourmande cookbook by Beatrice Peltre. Published by Roost Books in 2011.
  • ~~ For the Garlic Parsley Oil ~~
  • 1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 cloves garlic, blanched for 30 seconds in boiling water
  • generous amounts of extra virgin olive oil
  • ~~ For the Brown Rice, Quinoa, and Buckwheat Crust ~~
  • 2 thyme twigs
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1-1/2 cups carrots, finely shredded
  • 1 small green zucchini, finely shredded
  • 120 g Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 a small wheel (70 g) Brie cheese, rind removed and crumbled
  1. To make the garlic-parsley oil, combine parsley and garlic in a food processor and whirl. While processor is running, stream the olive oil until you reach a smooth purée. Set aside in an airtight container and let sit for at least 24 hours so that the flavours infuse the oil.
  2. To make the tart crust, place the flours, xanthan gum, sea salt, and chia or flax seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle.
  3. Add the butter and beat on medium speed until crumbles form. While beating, gradually add the water by tablespoonfuls until the dough starts to detach from the bowl and forms a ball.
  4. Pat into a disk or divide into smaller disks if making tartlets. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour minimum. If it’s been chilled for a few hours or overnight, take out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
  6. Lightly flour your work surface, rolling pin, and hands with brown rice flour and roll out the dough. A note about gluten-free tart: the dough tends to crumble. When this happens, simply press it back together or patch up the broken areas. Gently roll the tart dough onto the floured pin and carefully lay down on the tart pan. Press to mould into the pan and prick holes on the bottom with a fork.
  7. Blind bake the tart crust by lining the moulded dough with parchment paper or aluminum foil and top with pie weights (dried beans or rice work well, too). Bake crust for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
  8. To assemble the tart, preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
  9. In a bowl, beat the eggs, cilantro, garlic-parsley oil, and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
  10. Meanwhile in a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the thyme leaves and 1 teaspoon of the ground coriander and sauté for 1 minute. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes, lowering the heat at halfway point. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
  11. In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, then add the zucchini. Cook for 3 minutes or until the zucchini is soft. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
  12. When the vegetables are cooled off, add most of them into the egg mixture and stir. Leave some to sprinkle on top layer of the tart.
  13. Place slices of Havarti cheese to cover the bottom of the tart.
  14. Pour the egg batter mixture into the tart. Sprinkle with the remaining carrots and zucchini. Dot with Brie liberally.
  15. Place the tart in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top has set and has turned to golden.

Sonja {Dagmar's Kitchen} December 5, 2012 at 3:52 am

Hello! This looks so delicious – can I have a bite? Love your blog btw :-) .

Andi December 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

OMG yuuuuuuuuummy!!!!!!!!!!

Patty December 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

I like to imagine myself in the south of france, Cote d’Azur, Promenade des Anglais, Nice, on the beach-those all work for me! Lovely tart with all those unique flours in the crust-very interesting looks altogether delicious;-)
ps. someday soon you will be traveling to all those destinations that you’ve been dreaming of….sans strollers!

kristy @ the wicked noodle December 5, 2012 at 10:46 am

This looks too pretty to eat! So many yummy flavors in this!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 5, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love your savory tart, Jen! So, so pretty. Just what I need to offset all those holiday sweets ;) .

Valerie December 5, 2012 at 11:40 am

Beautiful, Jen- the tart, the photos, the writing…everything. Oh, what I wouldn’t give to breathe in some of that healthy saline air…or to have a few slices of your exquisite tart!

Choc Chip Uru December 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

France is definitely my future home my friend ;)
This recipe looks absolutely delicious!

Heather December 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love the garlic parsely oil and the gluten free crust – brilliant!

What beautiful memories you have of France, thanks for sharing those with us :) and as always your photos are stunning!

The Café Sucré Farine December 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm

this is delightful looking, sounding and I can almost taste it! Your pictures are so fun and really show off this yummy French tart!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

How delicious!! Love the garlic parsley oil! Beautiful dish, as always!

Eha December 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Looks wonderful and I want to taste!! Only way: obvious ;) ! We first took our two daughters > Europe ex Australia at 6 and 8! Proceeded to have an unreal trip of a Europe we had no idea existed ’cause the kids led the way to places we had never been and would not have gone :) ! They had a great time and I could write a book – we just looked at one another and asked ‘What next’! I recommend very highly :D !!

Ashley - Baker by Nature December 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Bring me to Paris and I’ll happily push a stroller ;) I’m dying to get back there myself! Ah, France.

This tart could certainly make my mouth happy!

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} December 6, 2012 at 1:42 am

Any savory tart is a winner in my book. Yours is just that – a complete winner! I adore France and Paris. I think it is so cute that your daughter wants to get there. I agree – perhaps when they are a bit older, no strollers and then you can really enjoy yourselves!

The Kitchen Boudoir December 6, 2012 at 2:24 am

I love kitchen counter traveling – the flavours of a specific travel memory recreated in your home kitchen. I love everything French too…I mean, I run an imaginary French patisserie, so I’m legit. :) I have fond memories of time spent people-watching in Nice too – the food that would bring me back there is a cone of rosewater and pink peppercorn gelato – I’ll never forget how that tasted. I’m keen to try the gluten-free crust – your tart looks delicious!

suzanne Perazzini December 6, 2012 at 2:55 am

It’s great to see the gluten-free crust. France will be waiting for you when you get the chance to go back. Children grow up so fast. We started travelling again when Dario was 11 and we went to Africa. He had a wonderful time and still remembers it well.

Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks December 6, 2012 at 7:10 am

What a beautiful tart and gorgeous photos, Jen! There is something so magical about France, isn’t there? I would absolutely love to go back, sooner rather than later, perhaps when the days of naps and strollers are behind me too :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts December 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

What great memories to live thru food. Your tarts are gorgeous!

mjskit December 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

It is amazing how smells take us places we’ve been before. Every time I make a roux, I’m a little kid in a cabin on the beach in south Louisiana. Your tart looks like a real burst of flavors and texture! The crust looks crispy, just like I like them and that garlic-parsley oil is a perfect little finish! I have no idea how you cook something so beautiful much less that such lovely pictures with 3 kids in the house! Super woman!!!!

Cass @foodmyfriend December 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm

This looks sooo good. love the parsley oil. I make a basil oil but I can imagine that parsley oil would be much more versatile.

Suzanne December 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

Lovely, and I can’t wait to visit Paris one day. You really are so fortunate to have been able to travel so much and so young too. Your food is always alluring to me and I wish I was your neighbor by chance you’d share with me :)

Sandra's Easy Cooking December 7, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I missed coming on your blog, sorry I didn’t forget you or your yummy recipes and mouthwatering pictures! :D
I think that I could wake up and eat this all day long in my PJ…looks amazing, and so happy, bright and delicious! Will just have to make it very very soon…it’s calling my name :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook December 8, 2012 at 3:11 am

What a healthy recipe, Jen. I look at each ingredients (even including crust) and they all very nutritious! I’m curious to try your garlic parsley oil. As you see my recipes, my recipes are very Japanese and I’m not very creative when it comes to Western flavor. We love all kinds of tarts, and having cheesy flavor is always a winner for the kids. Thanks for the great recipe!!

amy @ fearless homemaker December 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

Ooh, I love a savory tart like this – it looks absolutely wonderful! I love a dish like this, too, because it’s the type of thing I can eat for a savory brunch, a light lunch, or a dinner with a bit of salad on the side. So versatile!

Jean | Lemons and Anchovies December 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

We’re on the same wavelength–my latest post is about the same neck of the woods. :)

I still don’t know how you manage to take these awesome pictures with three little ones around you. These tarts look gorgeous and I bet they transported you back to France with each bite. :)

The Squishy Monster December 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I wanna graze with you!…your sunny pics of your beautiful tarts are making me so happy (it’s dreary out today here) and I love that you incorporated such healthy elements to this!

Lora @cakeduchess December 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I make savory tarts pretty often. My kids love them and it’s an easy dinner at last minute. My daughter wants to go to Paris too very badly:) I know what you mean about missing France…sigh. I love your GF crust and would really love to try it, Jen. so pretty!

Raymund December 9, 2012 at 4:24 am

I love how thin this tart is, so appetizing

afracooking December 9, 2012 at 6:27 am

I love the idea of this tart – great variation on a standard quiche!!

Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers December 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I agree with you. Better to wait when all 3 kids can enjoy the traveling than go with a full load of diapers, strollers and milk. France will always be beautiful. Food is one of the perks that make me go back there again and again too. Love the tarts and the photos Jen!

Linda December 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. It was fabulous! I did use a regular pie crust and Garlic and Parsley Oil by Watkins. I also used Laughing Cow instead of Brie because it was what I had on hand. It was delicious and I will definitely make it again. Next time I think I’d add onions, garlic and spinach to up the veggie content. I suspect I’ll also need an extra egg if I use those extra veggies. In any case this was fabulous!

Jen December 9, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hi, Linda! I am so glad you tried it and liked it! And really, you can use whatever you have in your fridge to build this tart! Thanks for stopping by! Always glad to hear feedback of any kind.

Magic of Spice December 13, 2012 at 7:51 pm

France is always where I long to be :) I have yet to visit and I still have family there…but some day :)
Your tart is just beautiful and I am craving the flavors!

Genevieve April 30, 2013 at 2:52 am

I’m a Torontonian who is in Aix-en-Provence, France right now… I’m an au pair and I just made this for the kids I look after. A big hit! Thanks a lot.