Curried Shrimps with Yuzu-Scented Turmeric Rice

by Jen on November 12, 2012

Today’s curried shrimps with yuzu-scented turmeric rice is my new favourite meal. I can’t believe I haven’t made this before, because everyone – including my picky 2-year-old girl – scarfed it down in lightning speed. Perhaps, everyone was just very hungry?

While the thought of cooking curry for the kids sent shivers down my spine (will it be too spicy for them?), I braved the unknown with a steadfast mind. I knew this brand of curry powder that I usually buy – Roland’s Pure Indian Madras Curry Powder – is mild enough for a neophite’s palate. There’s something to be said about reliable pantry standby’s.

And the best thing is: this meal comes together very easily. Week night meals have never been so stress-free! In under an hour and with time to spare, you’ll be done preparing this meal, I promise…and, you’ll look like a supermom! At the risk of sounding like a cheesy tagline, I can attest that this dish is the adventurous parent-cook’s dream-come-true: it’s exotic, it’s easy as 1-2-3, it’s quite nutritious, and it’s delicious.

As we were enjoying this meal one day, I happened to spy some pomegranate seeds hanging out at the back of our refrigerator. I added some of these ruby gems to the rice, and wow! They added some sweet-and-tangy end notes to balance out the shrimps and rice. I was absolutely amazed at how well everything meshed together! For my daughter who loves pomegranate, she really enjoyed this. For my other daughter who doesn’t like pomegranate, it took a bit of coaxing to get her to eat it, but it wasn’t too painful after she’d try them once. All in all, I think this is going to be a family classic for us.

Curried Shrimps with Yuzu-Scented Turmeric Rice
Recipe Type: Main, Seafood
Total time: 40 mins
Serves: 4
  • 1 pound (20 to 25 pieces) medium Pacific white shrimps, shelled and deveined
  • 2 tablespoons mild Madras-style curry powder
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1/2 white onion, finely minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • a squeeze of lemon juice or yuzu juice
  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric or freshly grated
  • peel of 1 yuzu, left in big pieces or 2 tablespoons pure yuzu juice (or use lemon if yuzu is not available)
  • pomegranate seeds for garnish
  1. Rinse the shrimps after shelling and deveining, then dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl with the Madras curry powder, garlic, and half the minced onion. Mix until well-combined and set aside. You can marinate this in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
  2. Fire pan over medium heat with olive oil or grape seed oil. Make sure there is enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
  3. Salt the shrimps and squeeze the lemon or yuzu juice at this point, and then sauté in the pan without overcrowding. Cook for 1 to 1-1/2 minute(s) each side, or until the shrimps just turn opaque. When shrimps turn opaque, give it a quick stir, for about 15 seconds, before transferring to a plate. Set aside.
  4. To make the rice, rinse basmati rice in at least 5 washes of cold water. When washing, use your hands to squeeze out some of the starch from the grains. Drain.
  5. In a sauce pan or small pot, heat a bit of olive oil over medium heat.
  6. When the oil is hot, sauté the remaining half of the minced onions with the turmeric until fragrant.
  7. Mix in the rice and stir until all the grains are coated in turmeric powder. Add the yuzu peel or juice, then add the 1-1/2 cups of water.
  8. Cover and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low) and cook 12 to 14 minutes.
  9. Let stand away from heat, still covered, for another 5 minutes. Remove yuzu peel and fluff rice before serving.
  10. Top with the curried shrimps and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 12, 2012 at 4:41 am

What a beautiful meal! Isn’t it great when kids really enjoy something you’ve made for them? Love it.

Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks November 12, 2012 at 8:01 am

Jen, this looks like an absolutely wonderful meal, and I love the addition of the pomegranate seeds. My 3 year old is super picky, but loves shrimp, so I am going to give this a try. Fingers crossed.

Tina Ong (@PhenomenalMama) November 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

Yummy! My kind of dish. I wish pomegranate was readily available where I live. I only get to taste it in select restaurants; and even then, they taste dry already.

Mom-Friday November 12, 2012 at 9:43 am

Wow I love this one! But I can’t say the same for the family who is not big with curry. Nonetheless, I will try this…. after I try your shrimp patties!!! ;)

Tessa November 12, 2012 at 11:02 am

Hey Jen! I love the color of the bright yellow turmeric rice. And btw, adding pomegranate was a brilliant idea! Have a great week!

Valerie November 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

I could easily live on curries and shrimp! (Yes, pomegranate seeds too!) Mad genius combination. :D Jen, I always want to wrap myself up in the colours that you use in your photos. They’re so warm and delicious.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 12, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love shrimp, this looks incredible! I have serious bowl envy too – I’m in love with your props!

amy @ fearless homemaker November 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm

What a gorgeous meal + how cool that even your little ones loved it! I adore madras curry + use it in lots of stuff – i bet i’d love this!

Jen @ Savory Simple November 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

This is stunning! I must try it.

jaime @ sweet road November 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Man, I wish I was fed curried dishes when I was little, you’re doing your kids a favor by giving them spicy-ish foods early! To say my family is afraid of flavor is an understatement, so I am really behind on my knowledge of spices and flavors… I’m catching up though.

Choc Chip Uru November 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I have never seen such an exotic version of curried shrimp my friend it looks gorgeous :)

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) November 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I love turmeric rice but it’s even better that you threw curried shrimp into the mix. It’s a red letter day when you create a new favorite that the entire family loves, right? Nice job, Jen. :)

Suzanne November 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm

How wonderful this dish looks Jen. I love the flavors here and the colors are so vibrant. The addition of the pomegranate is such a great idea and who would know it meshed together so well. Your photos are always so beautiful great job on creating something the whole family loves!

Patty November 12, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Such a pretty family classic ;-)
I love shrimps and don’t have them enough, this looks like such a delicious way to serve them-love all the flavors and colors. Your photos are always so beautiful;-)

Eha November 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Fantastic combo, tho’ I’ll probably use a slightly stronger curry flavour. When my children were small we alwys had family dinners: used ‘reverse psychology’ – being foodies even then, our plates always looked interesting. In the beginning I cooked simpler meals for the kids: howls of protest ‘We want what you are having’, polishing everything on their plates, curries definitely included, before we finished ours! No problems ever :D !

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking November 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

My picky 3 year old loves rice dishes, but have never given her anything spicy. Will have to try adding some curry next time I make, maybe even try your recipe. Thanks Jen

Nami | Just One Cookbook November 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hmmmm!! I can almost smell this fabulous meal! I love curried shrimp alone but you served with YUZU sceneted turmeric rice! I’m already started to drool. I used yuzu yesterday for dessert, but it’s so expensive $1 for a tiny yuzu fruit. Is yours expensive too? I really wish to have a yuzu tree in my background! What a beautiful styling Jen. I love the beautiful style you create! :)

Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers November 12, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Beautiful! But it’s making me hungry! My picky eaters are not spice lovers especially my 2-year old, but Mom and Dad love to have curries once in a while when there are no kids howling at the smell of spices at home. So I will definitely try this out as soon as the kids are not around. :-)

MizzJ November 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm

This sounds awesome! What is yuzu though and is it hard to find?

mjskit November 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I do love this dish! Lots of different flavors, all of which I love! Great dish!!!!!

suzanne Perazzini November 13, 2012 at 2:10 am

I love the plumpness of the prawns and the curry flavours. I’ve shared this on Facebook.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 13, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Your photos and styling is a bountiful of inspirations! Love the added turmeric :)

Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} November 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Jen – so loving this dish!!! I can just imagine why everyone loved it so. The flavors you put together are simply perfect. Stunning photos!!

Lora @cakeduchess November 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I would scarf it down too at lightning speed and so would my kids. Love the tumeric rice but the curried shrimps just take it to another level of yumminess, Jen:)

The Kitchen Boudoir November 13, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Oh yum. I want to pluck that particularly plump one from my screen now and eat it. Looks delicious!

sippitysup November 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm

You are raising that kid right! GREG

Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 14, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oh Jen you’ve made me so hungry! I love curried anything and turmeric rice is the best. This too would become a favorite dish. Thanks for sharing:)

Magic of Spice November 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I bet the aroma alone was just amazing! I love these flavors…just gorgeous!

Ashley - Baker by Nature November 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Wow! This is one stunning curry dish! So glad I found your blog!!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 14, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Love pomegranate seeds! This shrimp looks incredible. So much flavor!

Asmita November 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Wow,
What an incredible dish and love your presentation too!

Riley November 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

This looks absolutely beautiful. I love the pomegranate seeds!

maureen stevens November 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I seriously, seriously need to be in your kitchen someday! yum! yum! I love curry..and looks like the kids approve!

The Squishy Monster November 16, 2012 at 1:11 am

I’ve been a bit obsessed with tumeric as of late and have been using them as a face mask but as soon as I re up I need to make this—shrimp is my favorite!

Raymund November 19, 2012 at 3:25 am

Anything with shrimps would be a hit with me, I am such a sucker for seafood!