B.E.L.T., My Style

by Jen on September 9, 2012

I can’t believe that I’m doing a birthday post today! That just shows that I really don’t have much going on in my life except for family stuff (not that it doesn’t keep me busy already).

I didn’t aspire to make anything for myself: no fancy cakes, no elaborate dishes, no five-star meals. In fact, I am quite pleased to just sit around on “my day” with a plate of such a comforting sandwich, like this B.E.L.T. Simple pleasures. That’s how I roll today.

But of course, it just had to be done – make the sandwich a Jen version, that is. My take on the B.E.L.T.? Guanciale bacon (only pork jowl bacon will do!), fried egg, leafy micro greens, and fresh tomatoes. And don’t think I’d forget the gooey, oozy mozzarella cheese on top! Oops, I sneaked in some basil pesto in there, too!

B.E.L.T., My Style
Recipe Type: Sandwich

• loaf of crusty sourdough bread, sliced about ¼- or ½-inch thick
  • basil pesto, homemade or store-bought (optional)
  • guanciale bacon, thinly sliced
  • eggs, preferably free-run or free-range
  • micro greens (pea shoots, arugula, broccoli, sunflower)
  • beefsteak tomatoes, sliced about ¼-inch thick
  • mozzarella cheese, shredded
  1. Choose uniform pairs of sourdough bread slices and spread one side with basil pesto.
  2. Put oven on 475 F broil. Prepare a rack over a pan lined with aluminum foil (to catch the fat). Place bacon in a single layer over rack and broil up to desired crispness. Drain over paper towels and repeat until all your bacon is cooked.
  3. In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, crack egg and fry until the edges are crisp and the whites are cooked. If desired, flip over the egg for 10 to 15 seconds to partially cook the yolk.
  4. To assemble, place guanciale bacon on the bread slice going on the bottom.
  5. Add tomatoes on top, then add a fried egg on top, and finally finish with micro greens.
  6. Place the other bread to cover sandwich. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese on top, and broil on 475 F until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  7. Serve immediately.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Happy Birthday to you! Beautiful sandwich – sometimes you just want pure comfort :).

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic September 9, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Looks like a perfect sandwich! Happy birthday, Jen!! Wishing you a wonderful year filled with good health, lots of laughter, and mouth-watering food!

Lisa (AuthenticSuburbanGourmet) September 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Happy Happy Birthday! This is a PERFECT birthday treat! Love it! Stunning photos!!

Patty September 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Happy Birthday, yum! thanks for sharing such a beauty, of a sandwich, on your special day:-)

Phenomenal Mama September 9, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Happy Birthday! I wouldn’t mind bacon substituting for MY birthday cake, either!:)

Suzanne September 10, 2012 at 12:48 am

Happy Birthday Jen! Sounds like a great comfort food to have on your birthday, I’m like you I don’t need anything fancy anymore just family and friends oh and maybe a white sand beach :)

Choc Chip Uru September 10, 2012 at 7:15 am

Happy birthday my friend :D
Sometimes the simple way is the best way to go as you prove!

Jen @ Savory Simple September 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

Happy Birthday! Those micro greens are just gorgeous in this recipe.

Mom-Friday September 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Drool-worthy sandwich – perfect for your special day! :) Now, take a break and relax!

amy @ fearless homemaker September 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day. =)

sippitysup September 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yes! Yes! and Yes. Brilliant combo. I wish it were my birthday. GREG

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet September 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

OMG! This is like the best sandwich ever! Happy Birthday!

Megan @ girl by the lake September 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

First off, happy birthday! Sounds like you had a fantastic day!

This sandwich that you happen to call a B.E.L.T. is just absolute amazingness. I would eat this in about three seconds. Mainly because I have an affinity for bacon, cheese, pesto, tomatoes, micro greens, and (oh my gosh) friend eggs (it’s the southerner in me!). Amazing, AMAZING post!

Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers September 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I think I like your version of birthday food. It’s inviting me to take a bite. God, that looks delicious! Happy birthday Jen!

Lora @cakeduchess September 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

Another Virgo friend-yay! Happy Birthday, beautiful lady. I hope your day was as wonderful as you. This sandwich looks like my kind of way of celebrating. My mother-in-law makes her own guanciale in Italy. Such a great idea to make a B.E.L.T.;)

MizzJ September 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Happy Birthday!! Today of all days, you should get to do what YOU want to do, whether it be laidback, or as fancy as you want it to be. There’s too much pressure to make a big celebration out of things; sometimes you feel the happiest doing the simpler things right, like this sandwich!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 11, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hope you had a great birthday. This sandwich looks incredible!

Nami | Just One Cookbook September 12, 2012 at 1:14 am

Happy B-day again! I hope you had a fantastic day with family (which happens to me too). I need to figure out what Guanciale bacon is. I have everything in the fridge besides this special bacon (I only have applewood bacon). Looks so delicious and beautiful and I’m excited to start eating again!

wok with ray September 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Oh my god, I can’t believe I’m late for the party again!! :( Happy birthday Jen! :) I hope you had a wonderful special day! :) Oh boy, look what you did to this sandwich. You are very creative and very stylish, young lady.

joey @ 80 Breakfasts September 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

Happy birthday!! Wishing you all the best! That is one awesome sandwich…I wish guanciale was more available here!

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Gorgeous. Mouth Watering too…which is because it’s so gorgeous but also so unfair. I have not had breakfast yet. Cheerios just aren’t looking so good anymore! Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Sandra's Easy Cooking September 14, 2012 at 7:22 am

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!
Your BELT look AMAZING! Def. my kind of sandwich and I want that on my birthday too…who needs a cake:)
Stunning mouthwatering pictures, Jen!
Happy Friday to you and your fam…enjoy!

Valerie September 16, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Happy Belated Birthday, Jen! (It’s always good to know another fellow Virgo.) xo

You somehow manage to make everything beautiful. Even a potentially messy sandwich! Lovely…and every bit as scrumptious, I’m sure. :)

Sandwicherie September 17, 2012 at 10:44 am

What a beautiful sandwich! Looks so simple and super-delish!
Love it!

And Happt Birthday, too :)

meatballs & milkshakes September 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Amazing looking egg sandwich! I want one tomorrow morning!

Kate@Diethood September 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

That is the most gorgeous BLT that I have seen! Ever. Beautiful and delicious.

Jean | Lemons and Anchovies September 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Happy Belated Birthday, Jen. This is my kind of sandwich–this looks wonderful!