Shrimp and Pork Mini Burgers

by Jen on August 27, 2012

Sometimes, my middle child – Tartine #2 – surprises me. Like today, she asked to eat tomatoes. On some days, she will ask me for a carrot or pechay (bok choy) – gasp! She’ll also ask for her can’t-live-without staples: apple, mango, pomegranate, pear, cantaloupe, watermelon, nectarine, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, etc. – so we always have them on rotation for her! She will give up meat first before she will fruits, nuts, grains, and vegetables.

She is so different from me when I was a child, because I loved my meat. You couldn’t get me to eat fruits and vegetables then, even if you tried. Well, the fruits, I would have eaten, but it had to be pre-cut for me! Heaven forbid if I had to do my own peeling and slicing!

So, when I made these shrimp and pork patties, I wasn’t sure at the kind of reception these will get from my veggie-loving Tartine #2. I must say, she devoured these mini burgers like there was no tomorrow, so I knew I had an excellent recipe at my disposal.

These are little patties made with mashed shrimps and ground pork, but you wouldn’t believe the texture and taste! It’s a variation on the Chinese dimsum, shiu mai, only this one is grilled on the barbecue (or pan-fried, if you prefer). The shrimps really give each bite a little springiness and some much-needed moisture that is usually lacking with lean ground pork alone. Some Asian spices here and there…and – bam! – you’ve got these juicy, iron-rich patties!

My meat-picky daughter totally loved this, and if you could believe it, the whole family was asking for seconds. And thirds. And fourths.

Until they were all gone…

Next came the shouts for “more!”

Shrimp and Pork Mini Burgers
Recipe Type: Main Course
Serves: 12 patties

• 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 250 grams (about ½ of a 454-g pkg) fresh or frozen uncooked shrimps
  • 500 grams lean ground pork
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced + more for garnish
  • 1 medium carrot, finely grated
  • sweet Thai chili sauce (optional)
  • sesame seeds (optional)
  1. Put shrimps in a food processor and whirl for a few seconds until shrimps are mashed.
  2. In a separate large bowl, whisk egg with soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. Add the shrimp and pork to the mixture, and gently stir together.
  3. Stir in the green onions and carrot, and mix well.
  4. Shape into 2-inch patties, about ¼-inch thick.
  5. Heat the grill to 375 degrees F and oil the grates with paper towel.
  6. Cook the patties covered, about 4 to 6 minutes per side, or until the patties are browned and firm to touch.
  7. If pan-frying, heat a large pan over medium heat and add oil. You may have to work in batches for this - do not overcrowd the pan. Cook patties until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for another 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining patties.
  8. Serve with sweet Thai chili sauce that is garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.
  9. Makes 12 patties.*
*You can easily double the amount of patties by doubling the recipe accordingly!

Liren August 27, 2012 at 1:46 am

So I bought slider buns on Friday thinking I was going to make some kind of seafood burger…how crazy is that? I love what you’ve made here, with flavors that would bring my taste buds to lumpiang shanghai! Yum! They look amazing!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 27, 2012 at 2:50 am

What scrumptious little patties! I can see these disappearing very quickly at a party :).

Mom-Friday August 27, 2012 at 3:07 am

I WILL MAKE THESE!!! They look so delicious I can almost taste the juicy savory tast of these patties! ;)

Mark Wiens August 27, 2012 at 3:30 am

Oh wow, I’ll go for seconds and thirds and fourths too! I always enjoy the combination of minced pork and shrimp whenever I go out for dim sum, so if it’s grilled, even better – and over a pile of steamed rice, perfect!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 27, 2012 at 4:00 am

I love mini burgers with Asian flair. These looks absolutely yum, Jen :)

Raymund August 27, 2012 at 4:02 am

So cute and perfectly grilled, each piece looks like it was meticulously grilled.
Yum!

Tina Ong (@PhenomenalMama) August 27, 2012 at 8:46 am

Some grillmarks you’ve got there. This can easily be a lifesaver baon recipe for me and the kids. Thanks for sharing.

Jen @ Savory Simple August 27, 2012 at 8:48 am

These look incredible!

Jean | Lemons and Anchovies August 27, 2012 at 11:11 am

Seeing you serve the mini burgers with rice takes me back to my childhood–the only thing missing is the ketchup but it’s okay since you have that bowl of sweet Chili sauce. I love this, Jen. That big plate of them wouldn’t last long in my house either and there’s just two of us here. :)

Sandra's Easy Cooking August 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

I am drooling over these Jen! What a combination..and if your little one loves these i am sure that mine will be all over. Anyhow..your patties look divine. I cannot wait to make them for my family soon!

Suzanne August 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

These little burgers look perfect for little fingers and for me too. How wonderful that your kids love a variety of foods that says a lot about how you feed them too, great job!

Patty August 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I am drooling over these mini burgers too! The grill marks looks so good and the dipping sauce-yum-over the top deliciousness in a mini burger:-)

Choc Chip Uru August 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

These little grilled parties look absolutely delicious my friend, beautifully made :D

Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers August 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I had been craving for siomai for months but I am just too lazy to wrap them up one by one. Maybe it’s a good thing I waited because your version perked my interest so much. Did it go well with soy sauce & lemon? I have to agree with Tartine #2. We will both wrestle these patties away from each other.

Russell van Kraayenburg August 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Yummy! Why have I never thought of using shrimp in burgers? What a scrumptious recipe

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

These sound amazing! I think my family will really like them – pinning and saving now!

Eha August 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I have eaten and perhaps even made mixes similar, but this is a scrumptious recipe I’ll follow to a ‘T’! Your Tartine #2 is obviously fast developing a worthwhile palate :) ! Methinks to a large degree a child will try things if they are freely available in the house, Mom/Dad are obviously enjoying and no one is putting pressure on them to eat :) ! I was brought up in a meat/potatoes home in N Europe and it took me many years to reach for fresh produce . . .

Lisa (AuthenticSuburbanGourmet) August 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm

WOW – my mouth is completely watering over these little delights! I am a dim sum lover and could just see these on small little buns and dipping into the chili sauce. I just love these!!!! Pinning now!!!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} August 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hi there, I’m new to your site and I adore what I see so far! Your recipes are nutritious and wholesome (and realistic!) and your photos are gorgeous! These shrimp and pork sliders look fabulous and I’m looking forward to trying them!!

ciki August 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

they look absolutely delectable! i too am an avid meat eater :P

Lora @cakeduchess August 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm

My mom just made some wonderful salmon burgers and I’ve been craving them. Now I am craving these yummy burgers. The sauce looks wonderful:)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I don’t eat pork or shrimp but your pictures make me so hungry!
The burgers are so pretty and so very tempting, I bet they taste great!

sippitysup August 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

That’s a dim sum variation I support. GREG

Krista August 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Yum! I don’t often cook with shrimp because they tend to cost more and with a large family I need to buy more. I love shrimp and I absolutely love this idea. Plus, I kinda love pork too so this is a winner all around!

Joop June 26, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Sounds like a great recipe, I can’t wait to try it! I make Shrimp Burgers with a similar recipe which include some lime zest. I pan fried them in a little garlic butter and served them on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato and avocado…..what a hit!!

The good news-bad news is that you have to prepare and eat them in short order. They are good cold and sort of OK when nuked. Best when hot and sizzling.

While cruising the net, I came across Chef Big Shake’s Original Shrimp Burgers from http://www.TheQuickShipWarehouse.com . They come frozen and have a year shelf life. Pretty easy to prepare and quite good which makes it nice when the spirit moves you.

After cooking, we squeeze a little fresh lime on them and add the avocado. Voilà!