Avocado Egg Chop

by Jen on August 22, 2012

Rarely do we ever go a week without eating eggs in some way, shape, or form. We always keep a stock of fresh eggs (preferably organic and free-range) in our fridge in case we need to whip up an emergency week night meal like this zucchini frittata. On the said post, I talked about the benefits associated with consuming eggs in moderation, which means about 4 to 5 eggs a week per adult.

This time around, I made a quick and easy meal – practically a no-brainer – that is loaded with the good stuff coming from a protein-rich fruit and egg. You might think that, hmmm, avocados and eggs? That’s a lethal combination. Isn’t that a recipe for heart attack? Is this going to be too fatty for me? Too high in cholesterol?

Before you turn away, let me tell you about a humble alligator pear that moonlights as a nutritional powerhouse. You probably know it by its more popular name – avocado! This ugly blackish-green fruit with a dry, wrinkly skin is actually our beautiful and kind-hearted ally. Rich in fiber, folate, vitamins B, C, and K and many other minerals and phytonutrients, it’s a food that we can’t afford NOT to eat.

True, 85% of the avocado’s calories come from fat, but its fat is rather quite unusual. It is actually the good kind of fat that aids in maintaining cholesterol levels, helps promote heart health, prevent unwanted inflammation, and regulate blood sugars.

That, together with the benefits of eggs (boosts brain health, builds bones, protects eye sight, lowers risk of blood clots), makes for a perfect light meal for me! I have to admit though, this wasn’t my kids’ favourite. But I know one day, as their palates develop, they will learn to enjoy a perfect meal like this. In the meantime, I have nothing to lose by showing them how to make a killer avocado egg chop on toast. Of course, for the girls, only flower-shaped toasts will do!

For a more grown-up version, try this with a kick of spice like Spanish smoked paprika, cayenne, or any kind of chili powder! Yum!

Avocado Egg Chop
Recipe Type: Starter, Brunch
Author: Jen L
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 4
  • 2 large eggs, preferably free-run or free-range, at room temperature
  • 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 a small red onion, finely diced
  • juice of 1 lime
  • salt and pepper
  • snips of broccoli sprouts to garnish
  • whole wheat toast
  • smoked paprika, cayenne, or chili powder (optional)
  1. To make hard-boiled eggs, bring a small pot of of water to boil over high heat. The water should be just enough to cover the eggs.
  2. When water is boiling, gently place the eggs in the water, lower heat to medium and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. 8 minutes for a softer yolk with some runny-ness; closer to 10 minutes for a harder yolk.
  3. Once the eggs are done cooking, remove them from the boiling water and submerge in a bowl of ice water for at least 3 minutes.
  4. Peel the eggs carefully and slice vertically into halves. Slice them vertically one more time before chopping into small pieces. Set aside.
  5. Slice the avocado lengthwise, going around the fruit. Twist the two halves to release the fruit and expose the seed. Using your knife, give the hard seed a chop until the knife blade embeds into the tough skin. Twist to release the seed.
  6. Cut each of the avocado cheeks into half again to produce long quartered sections. Use your thumb and index finger to grip the edge of the skin on each quarter and peel it off, just as you would with a banana skin*(see Note).
  7. Dice the avocado and toss with the egg chop.
  8. Add red onion and lime juice, tasting as you go, to determine how much lime you’d like. Gently toss until well-combined.
  9. Season with salt and freshly ground black or white pepper.
  10. To prepare toasts, cut or shape your bread with cookie cutters. (I shaped mine with a flower mould). Toast bread in a toaster or under a 450 F broiler until golden brown.
  11. Divide equally and spoon avocado and egg mixture on top of the toast. Garnish with snipped broccoli sprouts (or any other sprouts you can find).
  12. Sprinkle with (optional) smoked paprika, cayenne, or chili powder for some kick.

*Those good-for-you phytonutrients found in avocados have the richest concentration in the bright green flesh just right under the skin, so you don’t want to throw that out! I explained the easiest way to “peel” an avocado above, in order to get that coveted green flesh!

Raymund August 22, 2012 at 1:55 am

Mmmmm, nom nom nom
Simple and Yummy!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 22, 2012 at 2:08 am

I love the flower-shaped toasts! What a healthy and delicious snack, and yes – bring on the paprika!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 22, 2012 at 2:36 am

I could eat this for breakfast, every single day. Topped with fresh chili powder. Yum :D

Choc Chip Uru August 22, 2012 at 5:35 am

This egg cup looks simply stunning :D

Tina Ong (@PhenomenalMama) August 22, 2012 at 6:10 am

You know, I was just searching for an avocado and egg mix. I was gifted with a huge basket of avocados harvested from a relative’s tree so I needed to make something other than avocado shake.:)
This recipe came at the right time. I will make this tomorrow!:) Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ Savory Simple August 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

I am loving the sound of this! Every meal should have avocado.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic August 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

Avocado is one of my very favorite foods! I love mashing in an avocado when I’m making egg salad or tuna salad. This looks great and now I’m craving an avocado!

Riley August 22, 2012 at 10:17 am

These look so yummy – a great update on egg salad!

Suzanne August 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

I like how you loving talk about avocados as our friends and I agree with you 100%. Looks like a great snack to me. I grew up with avocado trees in the back yard so we eat them anyway we can, especially straight up with salt and pepper!

Valerie August 22, 2012 at 11:39 am

Alligator pear! How cute. Maybe children would be more inclined to eat avocado’s if they were called alligator pears?

This dish is beautiful, love that pop of red onion peeking through the greens and white. Thanks for all the avocado information, it’s good to know that one of my favourite foods is actually healthy too! :-)

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen August 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm

These look so delicious! I love anything with avocado!:)

Patty August 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I like this for brunch, lovely photos to ponder while wishing I had one of these avocado egg chop sandwiches in front of me right this moment;-)

Lora @cakeduchess August 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I can’t get enough of avocados! Nice to read all about one of my favorite things to eat:)

Lisa (AuthenticSuburbanGourmet) August 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I absolutely LOVE avocados! Loved learning all about the benefits of both avocados and eggs. I adore these egg cups that you made – they are perfect for a snack or entertaining. Lovely photos!!!!

Suzanne Perazzini August 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

They look so pretty your kids would just have to eat them. I love eggs and avocadoes and so would devour these.

Eha August 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm

As a nutritionist who once completed Medical School, thank you for clarifying the huge beneficial aspects of the ‘alligator pear’ – I think they are beautiful actually and love holding one in my hands :) ! Such a huge number of ways one can use, but I certainly always have them on hand as a bread/flatbread etc topping! For me, and I AM saying, me avo and egg together are a little too similar in consistency and taste , but many may like. The most fun way to eat egg for me [and I would say 3-4 at the max/week even now :) !] is to hardboil, mash, add an interesting curry mix + homemade yogurt > egg pate of sorts. Use this as an open toast topping surely a few times a week!

Cass @foodmyfriend August 23, 2012 at 1:26 am

This is a perfect breakfast for me :)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

I love the flower shaped toasts and love pairing egg with avocado. Although I don’t eat eggs too much due to my cholesterol levels I try to add some avocado to my meals for its g health benefits.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Eggs and avocado are great together. I just had some diced avocado on my scrambled eggs this morning! Gorgeous pictures!

wok with ray August 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I wish all of quick and easy meal are this pretty. You’re not only a good cook you are also a good photographer. :)

Magic of Spice August 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Eggs never looked so good! And I love your nutritional info… avocados should be on everyone’s meal plan!
P.S. I have those flower shaped cutters, will have to borrow this toast shape idea :)

sippitysup August 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

Now that’s what a call an egg salad. And a darn good looking one at that. GREG

Mark Wiens August 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm

It’s so good to hear about the nutritional benefits of both avocados and eggs – two of the simplest yet most delicious ingredients on the planet. I often eat a fried egg with avocado on the side with a big pile of rice, but never this combination – looks outstanding!

MizzJ August 25, 2012 at 4:02 am

What a great way to easily spice up a simple egg salad! Thanks agains for the handy, tasty recipes.

kyleen August 26, 2012 at 12:40 am

This egg salad with avocado looks so filling and nutritious. Yum!

kristy @ the wicked noodle August 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I LOVE THIS!! Looks sooo good. Easy but looks so pretty!