Ramp (Wild Leek) Pesto

I grew up in the Philippines in a house with a beautiful garden. My grandmother, who lived with us at that time, had a working vegetable patch that was always verdant. We had a couple of papaya trees, a banana tree, a jackfruit tree, a calamansi tree, some tomato bushes, plus a flourishing herb garden of garlic, chive, mint, and spring onion. My grandmother also grew beautiful flowers: orchid, poinsettia,  hibiscus (gumamela in Tagalog), bougainvillea, and gardenia (rosal).

Today, I live in a condo flat in Toronto, with nary a garden in sight to call my own (unfortunately, I don’t even have a balcony or terrace). I miss my grandmother (bless her soul) and her garden, and the way she calls me to come help her tend to the plants. She was a natural nurturer – of which, I suspect, the same loving technique was applied to her 13 children. Hence, she was rewarded with abundance all her life. By the way, you read correctly – she had 13 children (read a little about her history here).

I wish to move back into a house with some land, preferably facing the north-east, so that I get that gorgeous light that’s great for photography and gardening! But while I don’t have that dream garden yet, I am content to support small-scale, local farmers by buying their seasonal produce. As often as I can, I shop at farmers’ market and buy whatever is in season.

A few days ago, I spotted these beautiful ramps (wild leeks) in the market, their long, slender leaves swaying with the wind. It made me think of a breakfast I once had at a Toronto restaurant where the chef paired them with fried duck’s egg. It was a simple, no-frills meal that really let the delicate and mellow garlicky-green onion-y flavour of the ramps shine through. Note that this herb is one of the earliest to appear in spring, thus earning its reputation as “spring’s first greens.” Interestingly enough, they only grow in the wild and can be most commonly found in the Appalachian forests. However, there’s a growing interest in learning how to cultivate these delicious herbs, as demand grows.

One thing that’s nice to know, though, ramps don’t need a lot of cooking to highlight their soft, subtle, umami-like flavour. It’s perfectly fine to eat them as is, tossed in a salad or tucked in a sandwich…or in a pesto like this one!

I made this ramp pesto by blanching the ramps first (no more than 5 seconds) in order to draw out more of its flavour, then I added some upland cress for a peppery punch; one clove of garlic for bite; some raw pistachios for richness; and Pecorino Romano cheese for more depth. To me, this is the green goddess – ramp pesto.

Here’s a secret: this pesto delivers the goodies – it’s rich in vitamins A, B12, C, K, selenium, chromium, manganese, and calcium!

So, for lunch one day, I got a little carried away with my ramp pesto. I cooked two different kinds of pasta because I just can’t get enough of this amazingly herby sauce. And since ramps are in season right now, I just had to make sure I get my fill of them before they are goné!

Tell me, dear friends, what sort of non-traditional herbs or greens do you like to use for pesto?

Ramp (Wild Leek) Pesto

Prep time
Total time

This is really a recipe that doesn't follow any strict measurement - it all rests on your taste. But here is roughly what I used
Recipe Type: Main
Serves: 4
  • 8 stalks ramps or wild leeks, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup loosely packed upland cress
  • 1 garlic, smashed
  • ½ cup raw pistachios, shelled
  • ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, diced
  • good quality extra virgin olive oil
  1. Blanched the ramps in boiling water for 5 - 10 seconds, then run under cold water to stop cooking (optional).
  2. After chopping all the dry ingredients (from ramps to Pecorino cheese), put them all in the bowl of a food processor and whirl while slowly streaming the olive oil.
  3. Pulse until well-combined and desired consistency is achieved.
  4. Transfer in a jar and keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
  5. Use as pasta sauce or topping.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestEmailBookmark/FavoritesShare

29 Responses to “Ramp (Wild Leek) Pesto”

1. Andi says:

Yuuuuummy! You make food SO beautiful :)

2. Rachel says:

Ramps are widely celebrated here in the Appalachians. Lovely post! And I love food memories that remind us of our grandmothers.

3. So nice to learn more about your grandmother; I would guess you inherited a lot of her nurturing nature just from what I’ve gotten to know of you here. :)

Your photos are always like a ray of sunshine on my screen–love the way you style your shots. I have not strayed too far from the traditional preparation of pesto but I always do use pistachios–I won’t make pesto without them. As for ramps? Love them! I had them with dinner at a restaurant in SF a couple of weeks ago. They were breaded and fried and served atop a delicate fish. Very good! I bet your pesto would highlight their freshness even better!

4. Your granny was a tough women having 13 kids..wow just a thought having 13 kids is really wow!
    I live in a condo too, but thankfully my parents-in- law have back yard so I turned little corner into garden.
    Your pasta look AMAZING… so tempting, I could eat bowl right that moment and it’s still morning LOL! As far as non traditional pesto that I made I think that arugula pesto was one of my fave, excluding basil one:))
    Yummy looking pics!

5. I love the farmers market!! There’s something so relaxing strolling around looking at all the fresh lovely produce! And this pesto is magnificent!

6. Thank you for sharing the wonderful story about your special grandmother. I need to do something with ramps – you have inspired me. This pesto looks and sounds simply divine!! Your photos are just beautiful and inspirational – nice job!!!!

7. wow, this sounds just so lovely + springy – what a perfect spring meal! i loved reading about all the wonderful things your grandmother grew in the Phillippines. my husband has quite a green thumb, so we’re lucky to have a pretty great garden – a bunch of different tomatoes, basil, sage, oregano rosemary, parsley, mint, hot peppers, strawberries + a peach tree, just to name some of my favorites!

8. Your grandmother sounds like such a neat lady – and what a garden! I’ve never tried ramps but I love the idea of using them in pesto. What time should we come for lunch, Jen? ;)

9. I have never heard of ramps before. They sounds delicious though. I wonder if they can be found in this part of the country, I will have to keep an eye out.
    Your pictures are always so stunning – you don’t need a house with better light!

10. Lauren says:

I’ve been looking for a good recipe that includes ramps. I think this one is a winner! You’re photography is amazing, as well!

11. I’m hoping to see some ramps this weekend at the farmers market. I’ve made cilantro and arugula pesto, but those are not as unique as ramp pesto :) Beautiful post, Jen – evocative writing and stunning images. love.love. I have fond memories of my grandmother’s assortment of tropical fruit trees in Hawaii and, when we move, will miss our garden most of all.

12. I never encountered ramps before but when I googled it and saw some pictures with flowers, I suddenly got excited because I have seen those allium flowers around our area before. Those beautiful purple clusters are always popping out. But then, there are so many kinds of allium and I cannot get an Italian translation. Your pesto seems so good and fresh. Seems like it’s very good with pasta. And hey, I wish I was like your grandmother. I wish I had 13 children too. It should have been beautiful for her to see all 13 of them together, growing up. I miss our garden in the Philippines too. :-( I have one here but it’s not the same. I have a thriving malunggay tree though that I planted from scratch. :-)

13. Patty says:

Beautiful post, love your pictures and the ramp pesto! I saw ramps for sale at the SF Ferry Plaza a few weeks ago, should have grabbed some, their season is so short and they aren’t that easy to find. I grew sorrel last year which makes a tasty pesto served on pasta. Also tender radish greens are good;-)

14. I’ve never come across ramps before, but they are definitely something to look for at the markets as I adore leeks. I loved reading your post, reading about your special bond with your Grandmother (aren’t they the best) and your inspiration for this recipe. I especially love your gorgeous styling too, you really get a beautiful spring vibe from your photos.

15. WOW! I admire your granny for having 13 kids! I have one and there are days are think 1 is more than plenty.
    I have never heard of these leeks, i’ll have to see if they sell it at our local farm. I love leeks better than onion in cooking and I know I’ll love this type as well.
    Your photos are just stunning as usual.

16. Oh I just love these beautiful pictures!

17. I’ve always stuck to basil, although I tried arugula before.

This is my first time to hear of ramps. So thank you for the short introduction.:) Wonderful photography, as expected.:) Do keep us updated about your littlest one…

18. Raymund says:

All I can say is wow! I really adore your Photography. You make simple meals like this rock!

19. Beth says:

Your photos are absolutely lovely. They remind me of spring!

20. Renee says:

I’ve just discovered your blog and I really love it – such gorgeous photos! Your pesto looks amazing. I’ve never cooked with ramps before – maybe they don’t grow well in Saskatchewan – but I’ll definitely keep an eye out!

21. I’m thrilled to have come across this recipe via Foodgawker, Jen! I’m fortunate enough to have several patches of ramps in my back woods, but I haven’t taken advantage of them much this year. Time to get my butt out the door and pick some.

Gorgeous photos!

22. Suzanne says:

Always beautiful Jen, and how wonderful to grow up with such a garden to draw from and loving family around. I just barely hear of ramps, now twice in a week so I am intrigued. Perfect Spring pesto, love it.

23. After I started to follow I had never thought that you were living in a condo and no garden. You always bring in fresh ingredients and bright light – assuming that you have yard and garden. :-) I admire your grandma having 13 kids, yet she seems like she give a lot of attentions to grandchildren (you have very close memory of her, which I assume you had very nice time together). Your story is very warm and pictures tell the story nicely. I’ve never had ramp, but when I see it I know a good story attach to it. :-)

24. I am a huge fan of pesto in and on italian dishes and your recipe looks refreshing and delicioius – thank you :D

25. Ayngelina says:

Every year I see ramps recipe posts I say I’m going to make pesto and I never do!

26. Liren says:

Your garden memories in the Philippines sound like my mom’s wistful recollections of the fruit trees in her grandmother’s garden in Laguna. I wish I had a garden large enough for abundant fruits too! But my goodness, this pesto is stunning and such a beautiful use of the ramps! Gorgeous images as always!

27. I would miss my garden terribly if I moved somewhere that I did not have space. I am sure you will have one again though :) This pesto is amazing…love it!

28. [...] was a child, I had spent my summers helping my grandmother tend her garden (I talked a bit about it here). My parents were quite the typical Chinese, so any summer activities that didn’t involve [...]

29. [...] almost that time of year To Eat These – will you?? This Ice Storm was [...]